Sydenham pub of 1915

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Roseland69

Sydenham pub of 1915

Post by Roseland69 »

Hello there

I am researching family history and am looking for the name of the pub a relative ran in Sydenham in 1915.

The address was:

127 Wells Road, Sydenham. His name was William N Ellis. His occupation on a certificate is given "Beer House Keeper" so I assume it was a pub he was running!

Any clues would be fantastic. For instance, I know there is a "Wells Park Road" in Sydenham. Thinking this is the same road? The address I have comes from a birth certificate.

I know they did run pubs and had a few in and around London at this time. For instance William Ellis's wife helped run her dad's pub (which was knocked down and rebuilt in the 30's and is now called the Royal Albert in Norwood.)

Thanks all.

[will also post this in the "pub" section of this forum]
Konqi

Post by Konqi »

Looking at an OS map in 1920 shows that "Wells Park Road" used to be known as "Wells Road"

edit: said 1916 but corrected to 1920
Last edited by Konqi on 20 Oct 2009 16:41, edited 2 times in total.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Wells Road became Wells Park Road many years ago - there is still a pub called "The Talma" there, and there used to be a pub called "The Duke" until 2-3 years ago - the pub your relative ran might well be a different one that has long since gone. The street numbers might also have changed, which can complicate matters - there have been extensive changes to the road and surrounding streets since 1915. Hope this helps.
Roseland69

Post by Roseland69 »

Thank you so much for the map.

Yes, I guessed it was probably one and the same road but thanks to your help now I know!

Now to find if there was a pub there at no. 127 at the time. I suppose they may have just lived at an address there and ran a pub elsewhere. Though given he describes himself as "keeper" I am thinking he owned it and lived in it.

I have tried to look at old directories online (like Kelly's) but its running a bit slow and not sure which directory Sydenham would be in (i.e London or a suburban one).
Roseland69

Post by Roseland69 »

Thomas wrote:Wells Road became Wells Park Road many years ago - there is still a pub called "The Talma" there, and there used to be a pub called "The Duke" until 2-3 years ago - the pub your relative ran might well be a different one that has long since gone. The street numbers might also have changed, which can complicate matters - there have been extensive changes to the road and surrounding streets since 1915. Hope this helps.
It does help, that you!

I'm hoping a local historian will know the pubs of Sydenham of that time. As I say, I know there is the Kelly's directory of businesses (bit like our Thompson local) but not sure which one to look in or where to find it (there is the historical directories website but they have London copies to view online but not all London suburbs).

If only he had put a pub name on the address on the birth certificate. :-D
Konqi

Post by Konqi »

There is a 1916 1:2500 scale map, which shows the area in better detail so if you can try and buy\view a copy.
Roseland69

Post by Roseland69 »

Konqi wrote:There is a 1916 1:2500 scale map, which shows the area in better detail so if you can try and buy\view a copy.
Can you tell me where I could get this from?

I am going to get in touch with Sydenham Library as I think they will be able to help too.
Konqi

Post by Konqi »

I just use http://www.old-maps.co.uk to see what maps are available,

I can't advise where the best place for price is, old-maps charges £14.99 for a digital copy.
Roseland69

Post by Roseland69 »

Okay - thanks.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Alan Godfrey Maps also sells maps of Upper Sydenham from 1894 & 1914:
http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/uppersydenham.htm

I have a copy of the latter, which also has a street directory on the back. You could buy a copy direct from the above link or from a good bookshop.