HOME PARK MANSION

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
leenewham

HOME PARK MANSION

Post by leenewham »

I had an enquiry about an old mansion in Home park that was apparently demolished in 1901 (via the home park blog http://www.homepark.blogspot.com)

I had no idea there was a mansion in the area. Anyone got any info or even better images? Falkor? Steve?

If you do can I post them on the blog?

Many thanks.

Lee
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

There was a mansion, Lee, called Home Park Lodge. The estate dates back to at least the 1550s, when it was a farm. By the 1770s the farm had expanded to become one of the largest estates in Sydenham.

The estate came up for auction in 1776 when it was described as "a compact farmhouse... and about 18 acres of land".

In 1794 the farmhouse was rebuilt as a country villa, one of the most prestigious houses in Sydenham. Unfortaunately all that changed when the gas works opened at Bell Green in 1858. As the gasworks expanded over the next 50 years the large houses in this part of Sydenham became less and less appealing to the few who could afford to live in them.

When the last tenant of Home Park Lodge died in about 1896 the house and what remained of the estate was put up for sale. It was eventually bought by the Lewisham District Board of Works (predecessor of the present borough council) in 1899, with the intention of creating a park. As you say, Home Park Lodge was demolished in 1901, the year the park opened.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any pictures of Home Park Lodge.

This map (of 1878) shows the location of Home Park Lodge, almost directly opposite Larkbeare Road, with Fairlawn Park laid out but still undeveloped:
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Thanks Steve, fascinating as usual!

I don't suppose you have any old images of Home Park Steve do you? Or any interesting stories about it?

Even ones from the last 30 years...
regoneil

HOME PARK MANSION

Post by regoneil »

Steve,
Very interesting map, have you one of burghill Road showing its early development?
It would appear to me that the Lodge stood where the Library stands today.
I well remember when a number 75 bus skidded and demolished Charley Clarks grocery store opposite the library in the late 20's . A swerve to the other side would have made a mess of the Library.
Castaway

Re: HOME PARK MANSION

Post by Castaway »

Looking at the map here was very interesting to see that Holmshaw Road stopped at Kirtley the top half not yet made into a road. Wonder when they lengthened the road?