Kirkdale Village: What's in a name?

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
marymck

Kirkdale Village: What's in a name?

Post by marymck »

The traders in and around the Old High Street have decided to rename the area "Kirkdale Village".

I think it's a cringe-worthy name, as well as being historically inaccurate and very misleading.

What do others think?

When and why was Kirkdale so named? I know the upper part used to be Sydenham Hill Road and I believe was changed to Kirkdale circa 1936, but what about the rest of the road?

If the cart goes before the horse and the area is renamed without proper public consultation (and I also wonder what Lewisham and Royal Mail have to say) and prior to regeneration, then does anyone have any more appropriate suggestions for a name?
kennyb2

Re: Kirkdale Village: What's in a name?

Post by kennyb2 »

As an ex resident of Kirkdale, Panmure Rd actually this village lark has me weeping with laughter and brings me out of my self imposed slumber in the safety of my rural retreat.

Its a sign of estate agent yuppy wannabe desperation, like trying to name Battersea South Chelsea, or extending Dulwich village to the edge of Anerley.

Funnily enough when I grew up there it was like a village, from the cafe on the corner of Fransfield down to the Fox and Hounds pub there was a variety of shops you'd not credit, then on the other side it was repeated, even Miles the butcher still had his old slaughter house out the back; from the corner to the police station there were more small shops and quite a bit of small industry.

I only travel down it now via Google street view and frankly its a tatty slum and an eyesore. Who on earth sanctioned that god awful pub?

Not so much a village but a shanty town, it looked better after the bombing.

Kirkdale Shantytown? got a ring to it , I feel a song coming on.......... :lol:

--------
Please continue this discussion here: http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6048
Thread locked