The Talma (9-May-1958)

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

The Talma (9-May-1958)

Post by Falkor »

On the right is a clear view of the music hall...
multisync

Post by multisync »

When i was at school in 1966 if i remember correctly.There wer a group of lad who were regulars in the Talma who met up there to go on holiday and never came back,as there plane crashed in Perpignon.Very sad! it affected myself and friends very badly.
bensonby

Re: The Talma (9-May-1958)

Post by bensonby »

Sorry to resurrect a really old thread but I found the following extract from the Daily Mirror on the 5th of June 1967 when I was doing some research on another website. I then wondered if there was any reference to it on this forum which lead me to this thread:
____________________________________________________________ _______________

Seven youths, who planned a 'flying holiday' over pints in their local pub, died in the Perpignan disaster.

Regulars at the Fox and Hounds in Sydenham heard of their deaths last night.

Landlord Arthur Cooper said, " They were so jovial and well-mannered, and were never any trouble to anyone. They were marvellous people - not an ounce of nastiness in them".

The seven who died were Brian Cavanagh, Barry Hancock, Alan Vincent, John McCormick, Edward Spooner, Brenan Wilson, and David Allen.

All were aged between eighteen and twenty. David lived in Lambeth. The others all came from Sydenham.

Another of the lads at the 'local' - 19 year old Peter McCormick- cancelled his reservation on the same flight at the last minute.
He said last night, " I had to make a choice between getting engaged, and spending £75
on a holiday with the lads.......he got engaged.

Peter, of Earlsthorpe Road, Sydenham, went on: " We were all the greatest of friends. It's terrible that everyone's gone like this. All they wanted was a bit of fun".
stuart

Post by stuart »

I remember that crash. Here is a report: http://aviation-safety.net/database/rec ... 19670603-1

It was a different time. The DC-4 was unpressurised and like the DC-3 (Dakotas) had problems flying over the Pyrenees. It was uncomfortable for passengers if they flew over and darn right dangerous if they tried to fly through the passes in weather that could change rapidly in minutes.

Hence most Costa Brava charters landed short at Perpignan and coached passengers from there to the resorts. This one landed very short. Nowadays you look down on the 11,000 ft Pyrenees from 35,000 ft en route to Barcelona thinking how pretty they are.

RIP
Stuart
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I was at Brookwood Cemetery today and came across the memorial and mass grave for this crash, along with two others of the same era. It was a pretty sorry sight: a neglected, forgotten and falling apart set of memorials. I decided to research each of the crashes to find out what happened.
Michael Viner

Post by Michael Viner »

Re.the 67' plane crash tragedy-as a very small child I was taken to see the funeral cortege in Wells Park Rd by my mother (although I was too young to remember) Here is the diary entry by my dear Mum,Joan Viner (1925-2011) for Friday 16th June 1967.We were living in Oaksford Ave. then.
"Took twins to see(funeral) cortege of local boys killed in flying accident.Noel(my father) was singing in the choir.
Bishop(of Woolwich) attended,also 2 M.P.'s,Mayor Of Lewisham,2 headmasters and about 20 local clergy.60 cars in Taylors Lane.All the shops shut for duration of funeral.Father Lashbrook(vicar of St.Phillps,Taylors Lane) and curate headed cortege on foot the length of Wells Park Rd. All of Sydenham turned out to see this impressive sight."
multisync

Post by multisync »

I thought the memorial was in Hither Green cemetery.I suppose now most of the families are not around,I know Brennan Wilson's sister lived in Halifax Street a few years ago.John and Peter's sister lived in Earlsthorpe Road but sadly died a few years ago.
I knew Brennan [ Willie] as I called him he gave me my first kiss and a rose when I was around 14, my friend Linda was going out with John. We were both devastated when this crash happened. A group of mates gone in a flash.
RIP all of you
Garratt

Post by Garratt »

I went to school with these lads & also attended the service at Taylors lane then in the car procession through Sydenham to Hither Green. You had tickets one for the church & the other for the car to take you to the cemetery. This is not a day I will ever forget. I lived on the estate in Tynwald Hse & went to Kelvin Grove 1958 then to Forest Hill 1960 (then boys only). My mum worked in the green grocers on the corner down past the paper shop on the right going towards Kirkdale
selby

Post by selby »

I have been looking through the post on this sight, I also remember this as I to was close to all the boys, lived next door to Brendan, I also went to school at kelvin grove , then onto forest hill. I took my wife to London over easter, went back to hither green to see the boys, first time back since the day of the funeral. I wanted to make trip back to make 50th anniversary but can't make the 3rd june. I hope that any family members and friends see this post feel free to get in touch. Best wishes to all their families , the boys will never be forgotten. (garret family I do remember you.)