THE NEW CRYSTAL PALACE

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
leenewham

THE NEW CRYSTAL PALACE

Post by leenewham »

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/cryst ... y/sydenham

An old, if rather odd video about the new Crystal Palace, or the sports centre as we now now it. IT clearly shows where the ski slope was. Funny how it looks quote good when new and the clutter surrounding it wasn't there.
ALIB

Re: THE NEW CRYSTAL PALACE

Post by ALIB »

A great find Lee.

I am minded of Falkors wonderful Sunday tour of Crystal Palace Park , with members of STF a couple of years ago (was it really that long ago ?)

A most extraordinary day was spent in his company, except for me. I was recalled home just as we were about to explore the remains of the palace, due to a power cut at home.

I really wish I could spend the additional couple of hours with Falkor, to complete the tour.

Beers on me, of course.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Ah Alib, it was a great day. 4 hours. Now the great Falkor is married to a beautiful girl and will be a dad soon (I hope he doesn't mind me announcing it here!).

I also had the pleasure of a guided tour a little while later by John Greatrex. We traced the exact outline of the Palace. Many of the posts at the back were just cut off just below the surface. They are all 8 feet apart and 8 inces wide. Look closely and you can find a great many of them, they are still there. They just cut them off, they didn't excavate them. It's incredible to see just how:
A. Large it was. It really was vast.
B. How close to the road it was (the barrier around the back of the bus station lines up with the front of it, as do the trees near the remains of the underpass which were planted on the exact foundations which ar buried under all the rubble dumped on the site from bombed out houses after WW2.

Everyone seems to think it was in a different position to where it really was. It's almost criminal that such an important site has turned it back on such important history so completely and yet that's part of it's allure and why I like it so much. You have to discover it. It's like our own mini personal Tikal before it's turned into some disney relic.
John Greatrex

Post by John Greatrex »

Hi Lee

Hope you and all who live near the CP2 site in South London are keeping well and taking care.

I’ve just been catching up with the Forum comments about 1....the Paxton Crystal Palace Corner (pcpc) .....and 2.. my stand up, three minute comedy knockabout with sit down comedian ‘Terry Tibbs’ ...which is now nearing 200K hits.

The pcpc is now being cared for and repainted when necessary by George Irvin’s Fair Folk whenever they visit the Palace Terrace. A big thanks to them.

Good luck this year......the 170th anniversary of CP1 ......the 1851 Crystal Palace temporarily erected for The Great Exhibition in Hyde Park.....The First World Expo.

Best wishes

John G