Sydenham in WWII (areas bombed during the war)

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

Sydenham in WWII (areas bombed during the war)

Post by Falkor »

I always heard a rumour that Cobb's corner was bombed, but never knew for sure until today, when I found out the LCC has published this giant sized book, albeit in limited quantities...

sarahc

Post by sarahc »

Fallkor,

Brilliant!! I have spent ages sitting here trying to work out the roads that I know in Lower Sydenham (including my own!). Absolutely fascinating. My mum says she remembers her mum telling her about the direct hit that Fairlawn Park took (next to St Philips Primary School) and by the look of the map - she was right! She remembers walking round to Fairlawn Park from her house in Elderton Road, and seeing the wardens head still in his helmet about 15 feet from his body. Gross.

Thanks for putting this on.

sarahc
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

It's not a rumour;Lewisham local studies has a collection of material relating to the bombing and rebuilding of Cobbs.

The copies of the bomb damage maps are indeed very limited, they were only issued to fully paid-up members of the London Topographical Society last year, with none left over for general sale. Fortunately, I had kept my subscription up to date!
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Very interesting based on this map how very few of the properties in the Wells Park area were in a bad state of repair due to 'enemy action'. The only enemy to those rather handsome Victorian terraces seems to have been those who were corrupt in power - charitable donations and brown envelopes ahoy!!

It brings a tear to my eye when I think of how they cleared perfectly serviceable and damaged merely through neglect housing for the poured concrete and asbestos ridden slums that currently sully that estate.

*sigh*

Looks like those lovely 6-story houses at the beginning of Venner Road remained unscathed also, before someone 'felt' that those disgusting brown chalets would be better...

*sigh**sigh*

I can't bear to look at the map anymore. It's too heartbreaking. What must their excuses have been for their actions.

Crooks.
simon

Post by simon »

Splendid post Falkor, thankyou very much.
Shortly after moving here I read two pamphlets from the library that listed many of the worst hits in the area and what struck me was there was always a terrble human story behind them all. I remember reading the tale of the bomb that hit Earlsfield Road, which is the reason why Ladbrokes and Superdrug are housed in that awful building that ruins the whole street. I was amazed at the restoration of the houses on Earlsfield Road, you can hardly see the join! Just a shame the same care wasn't taken rebuilding the shops on Sydenham Road.
I've done some work for a local charity that required me to walk the streets all over Sydenham and Forest Hill and just by seeing how many post war properties appear in the middle of pre-war streets, the scale of the damage soon became apparent. I really had no idea that so much ordinance fell on the area and caused so much damage till I read the pamphlet (the name of the author I cannot remember Im afraid).
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Is Panmure Road / Mount Ash shown on the map after the V2..
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Just worked out which is Mount Ash :)
lbere

Post by lbere »

Hi,

This is great stuff, our house seems to be in a cluster of a few that did not sustain any damage at all on our road.

My children would love this and it would be lovely for when they do WW11 again at school, their school at the end of Fairlawn Park, seems to have taken a hit, but I know that the school was in Watlington Grove to start with and moved to that site at some point in time.

Can you let me know where I can get copies as they and the school would love this? Thanks
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

As I mentioned above, these maps were published in limited edition last year, and are in fairly short supply. You'd have to go to a local studies library or a reference library to look at it. I'm pretty sure that [Lewisham Local Studies Centre] has a copy.
kenny b

Post by kenny b »

As someone who grew up in sydenham from birth in 1947 you`ll find it hard to comprehend the scale of bomb damage in south east london, not for nothing was it called bomb alley.
A VI engine lay on the railway embankment at Clock House station till the late 60`s
As for the developement around Wells park; well, I used it as a playground when it was all being demolished; they were`nt that great houses and the demand for houses in the 50`s was pressing indeed.
The worst thing was the appaling design, the intensity and the fact that they were filled up with over flow from the east end bomb clearances which quite frankly boosted the crime rate alarmingly!if you google flying bombs, there is an excellent site on the area and damage run by a chap in cCoyden. loads of photos
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Hi kenny! Welcome to the forum!! Good to have such a knowledgeable person like yourself on board... Looking at your recent wave of replies, you seem to recall quite a lot of interesting details about the history of Sydenham and you have a very good memory. :shock: My first questions to you are--if you'd be so kind as to answer any of them--what do you remember of the generating station at the top of Springfield Road/Rise? Did you ever walk down Fir Street? No old photos exist of this road AFAIK; were any still standing after the war? Remember anything of the Panmure Road/Longton Grove tennis courts? Did you ever walk down Edney street? I hope you decide to stick around, as I've lot's more questions still! :wink:
Malcolm

Fir St

Post by Malcolm »

Hi again

I don't remember Fir St (just a few years younger than Kenny B) but my Dad was an air raid warden for the area around Wells Park Rd in the early part of the war as he had grown up in Bradford Rd & knew the streets well.

He did tell me that the house there were tiny old cottages and a couple lived there with a severely disabled son. When a raid came on and everyone went to the shelters this couple refused to move as they could not move their son and my Dad pleaded with them to take cover but they refused, He also found the whole area quite creepy late at night with the blackout and moving trees, quite understandable really!

Malcolm
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

167 & 169 Venner Road (8-Nov-1940).
multisync

Post by multisync »

[quote="Greg Whitehead"]Very interesting based on this map how very few of the properties in the Wells Park area were in a bad state of repair due to 'enemy action'. The only enemy to those rather handsome Victorian terraces seems to have been those who were corrupt in power - charitable donations and brown envelopes ahoy!!

It brings a tear to my eye when I think of how they cleared perfectly serviceable and damaged merely through neglect housing for the poured concrete and asbestos ridden slums that currently sully that estate

Do you have something against the WellsPark area and estate as you seem to have scathed them on various occasions
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

We really should produce a definitive book as the pictures posted here are far better and more comprehensive than most books i've seen!
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

That's what I'm attempting to do with my website, but it's very time consuming. I reckon the Imperial War Museum could have even more bomb damage photos of Sydenham.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

There's a photo published in several books showing bomb damage in Fairlawn Park.
Maureen

Post by Maureen »

I was born in 1947 in Laurel Grove, Lower Sydenham, 2 mins walk from the Man of Kent Public House and I can distinctly remember playing on the bomb sites right opposite our house. There was a smelly old air-raid shelter just by the bridge that crossed the Sydenham end of Southend Lane, can't remember what that was called now.
victoria plum

Post by victoria plum »

There was, and still is, a bombsite in Adamsrill Road, a little past no 47 or 49. I used to play on there sometimes when I was a child and it also gave access to the allotments behind the houses (which are now overgrown and home to much wildlife). Of course, some people dumped stuff there, old chairs, etc.
rolyevans

Post by rolyevans »

In the early 50's I remember playing on a bombsite at the bottom of Holmshaw Road opposite the gasworks.
An old tramp, Jack Castle used to hang around there. There used to be
a cafe on the corner of Champion Road opposite Home Park and when it was cold he would pop in there for a cup of tea.
He also hung around the green at the top of Porthcawe Road.