Rare Crystal Palace photos!

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

Rare Crystal Palace photos!

Post by Falkor »

Here's a little treat for the Sydenham posse... a nice set of rare photos I've specially selected from the archives. :)

>>>>>>>>>
Moderator: There appears to be a copyright issue over the first photo. An original can be found here: http://www.worldofstereoviews.com/image ... g99992.jpg
<<<<<<<<<

Central Fountain with one of the two mid-range fountains at the side. A water collector--the circular basin with railings seen above the carpark--was built on roughly the same spot as the smaller fountain (both were first filled-in).

Water Temple and Cascades.

Water Temple, Cascade, Stone Arcade, and part of the southern Grand Fountain.

Water Temples, Cascades, and the southern Grand Fountain basin with a scale model of Tower Bridge over the top.

Grandfather Clock seen on the 1st floor gallery of the South East or South West Transept.

Switchback Railway.

Previous Royal Boxes seen opposite the orchestra and grand organ before the permanent one was installed.

Water Chute ride of the Fairyarchipelago with one of the four grass patches of the North Tower Gardens.

South Wing Terminal Tower AKA School of Art building.

Rare third view of the Marine Aquarium!

1861 North Wing destruction--caused by strong winds--before any of the 10 fires ever occured. Unfortunately, I can't put this out on a public forum because of all the lurkers--I have to "hold back"--so I've superimposed a watermark; the transparent property enables one to view the image without using it commercially. If anyone I met on the walkabout would like it without the watermark, I'd be more than happy to email you a clean copy, personally... it's just too damn rare otherwise! :lol: I might deposit this down at the London Metropolitan Archives; best place for it! :P