Beaulieu Avenue (1993)

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

Beaulieu Avenue (1993)

Post by Falkor »

Juwlz and I were chatting about the beautiful Beaulieu Avenue today, which is in fact one of the roads I used to live in (it's up there with Hall Drive and Dome Hill Park--almost), but couldn't afford to stay there (my parents didn't earn as much as Greg). Anyway, I managed to photograph the entire road during the week I left, and I now really treasure this album. I'm considering putting up some photos of all the street and neighbourhood from 13 years ago, including the photo of me catching a squirrel in Longton Grove closeby (I'm faster than my cats)! :lol:
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Go for it!
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

All the cats featured in the photos are now dead, as are 2 of my old neighbours. :cry: I'll see what I can scan in tomorrow night... this album is real special.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

I'll save this album for another time I think... It gets more precious as each year passes. 8) 1993 was the year Jungle Breakbeat music was pioneered... God, to think back to them days seems like eons ago... To Pat or Steve, it probably seems like yesterday. The street hasn't changed much since they were taken (except the front garden of my old house), although I did spot one or two trees have been cut down, including possibly this enormous one... Going to check for it soon, and if so, will put up the photos immediately... this tree was a mammoth... can't believe it's gone...
leaf

Post by leaf »

i used to go scrumping for plums in Beaulieu avenue!!

do you remember the plum tree?
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Yeah, there's a good photo of me eating a plum underneath the plum trees--up in the willow tree, too!

leaf, did you know anyone who lived in Beaulieu Avenue? I used to have about 25 friends down that one road...
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Falkor wrote:To Pat or Steve, it probably seems like yesterday...
What can you mean by that? Actually, I find it very pleasing that there are people younger than me who are passionate about the history of their area and are keen to learn more. I often give talks to local groups and almost invariably (you might find this hard to believe, Falkor) I am the youngest person there. In fact, sometimes I am the only male. For me, local history is not about nostalgia (although there is a place for that), or complaining that things aren't as good as they used to be. At its most basic it is about keeping diligent records (such as your photographs). These records can then be used to help us understand the forces that have shaped our environment and (perhaps this is over-optimistic) to inform future plans and developments.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

What can you mean by that?
I never thought much before I spoke, but thinking back to what made me say it... Firstly, 1993 was half a lifetime ago for me, and for anyone who is older than me, including yourself and Pat, this period would be more and more insignificant. Secondly, Pat and yourself have experienced Sydenham a lot more than most other members of this board, and being a historian your periods of interest go back a lot further. You are the wisest man in the village, but I wouldn't consider you to be old; you and Pat both appear to be very fit and healthy from what I saw of you on the walkabout, so please don't take anything I say personally.

I agree: local history is never usually about nostalgia, and cannot possibly be, unless you were present in the period being looked upon. With Springfield Rise (my main road of interest), virtually nothing can be recognised today from the time before the Wells Park Road clearances, so I'm not sure what it is that attracts me to the fascinating subject. I'm still trying to analyse why my entire life seems to be based around appreciating Art. Anyway, this Beaulieu Avenue album feels more nostalgic and personal to me rather than historical, so that's why I'm a bit reluctant to post it...

Keep up the good work, Steve!
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Falkor- Well I was quite looking forward to those Beaulieu Ave photos, but I understand if its special to you. It's not as if I have any memories of Beaulieu Avenue that go beyond er... a couple of months ago. In fact I think I've only even walked down Beaulieu Avenue 3 times ever! Why am I so nosy? Who nose! :lol:
I am starting to feel a bit guilty taking in all these photos of yours and not giving anything back - so I will be taking my camera on the next walkabout - you have inspired me!
Lets hope I can find a different angle or else the forum is going to be full of duplicate images.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Why am I so nosy? Who nose!
You have a nice nose; did you pick it?
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I have tried, but I can't think of a funny reply to that. It suppose it serves me right for making bad puns in the first place.
leaf

Post by leaf »

Falkor wrote:Yeah, there's a good photo of me eating a plum underneath the plum trees--up in the willow tree, too!

leaf, did you know anyone who lived in Beaulieu Avenue? I used to have about 25 friends down that one road...
yes falkor,i did know a few people who lived on beaulieu avenue,not sure if they'd like their names being posted here though!

i knew two sisters whos father was a policeman;
another family that my mum knew through work-the dad of that family was a policeman too;
i think my older brothers knew some boys who lived there,but i forget their names.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Thanks for your response, leaf! It's possible we've met before under the plum trees... I once had a serious bicycle accident in the same green. I successfully jumped a 7 brick high ramp, but when I went round to take the next jump, my front wheel went down a ditch and I lost control of the bike. My nose directly hit the metal railings, but luckily never punctured my brain. The whole road was, at one time, stained with my blood from walking home that day. Only the cartilage inside my nostrils was messed up, and I was meant to have a nose job done when I was 16, but never bothered in the end, as I've never suffered from any nasal problems or anything. I had a narrow escape.
yes falkor,i did know a few people who lived on beaulieu avenue,not sure if they'd like their names being posted here though!
That's good paranoia! :D In my opinion, I don't see any problems mentioning just first names, as long as you don't mention their surnames...
i knew two sisters whos father was a policeman;
Edit: I thought I knew these sisters you were referring to. :oops:
another family that my mum knew through work-the dad of that family was a policeman too;
One of the children named Matthew by any chance?
i think my older brothers knew some boys who lived there,but i forget their names.
Chadley, Richard, Adam, Noshi ring any bells? I've forgotten a few names as well...

BTW, do you know whatever happened to this girl named Lorrie? I seem to recall she left the road before me...

Anyway, I'm keen to share these photos with you guys, but emotionally, it doesn't feel like the right thing to do. Please give me some time to address this issue of mine...
Last edited by Falkor on 16 Oct 2006 16:30, edited 2 times in total.
leaf

Post by leaf »

hiya falkor

none of those names ring any bells!

the two sisters were called*whisper,gemma and kerry,nice girls,nice family.

i will try to remember some more and i will ask my brother if he can remember some.

horrific accident :shock:
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Ah right, I think the sisters I thought you were referring to, their father must have been a teacher rather than policeman.

Kerry and Gemma do not ring a bell... What period did you visit friends in this road? I just remembered the name of another girl called Tanya.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

mmm... My Italian friend from Rosamond Street knew a girl named Kerry; that is quite an unusual name... I think he said she went to Kelvin Grove School, but it's probably not the same person... He told me the name of the person who started that major fire in the school; he claimed his name was Nicholas McKenzie. Anyone remember this Kelvin Grove fire?
leaf

Post by leaf »

ooh!
it is getting juicy now!

it wasnt anyone called nicholas that started the fire,i know who it was but im not gonna say it here!

i remember the fire,it happened the summer that i left kelvin grove[gives my age away!].

i also knew someone who lived in rosamond st back then too.

i would play around BA in the early to late 80s?

im sure we might have mutual friends falkor,what schools did you go to?

ps,feel free to carry on this conversation by pm if you'd rather,i might tell you who stated the fire then! :wink:
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Who did you know in Rosamond Street; please tell me NOW! :shock:

You don't have to tell me who you think started the fire, as it's doubtful I would know of him/her. :D But I would like some more info on this fire... what date was it? I would like to look it up in the newspaper archives...

Holy Trinity was the only Sydenham based School I attended.
leaf

Post by leaf »

oh i forgot to answer,yes kerry did go to kelvin grove.

the fire was in the summer holidays of 85,after that the pupils were bussed daily to the old roger manwood site on brockly rise,obviously i had left by then,but i did visit my old teacher there.

i think the new building was opened in 88 or 89?
it was opened by princess margeret-i think?

the person who alledgedly started the fire had promised to do so for a while,then it happened!

maybe next week on the walk i will tell you more if you're interested?

IT WASNT ME!,just in case anyone is wondering!
leaf

Post by leaf »

i keep forgetting things,sorry!

my friend on rosamond st lived at no 10[a girl]

and i remember a boy who lived next door to my friend who is now very tall.