The Grove Centre

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

The Grove Centre

Post by Falkor »

Has anyone or anyone's children ever attend this youth centre before? Guess what--I did! :wink: I can't remember if it was (or is now) a playschool, nursery or just a youth club? I went to nursery in Perry Rise, so I doubt this place was also a nursery. Whatever it was, it was a lot of fun actually... you can still go around the back of the yellow bricked building, which is on the site of the old church, and see the garden; we used to play here as kids and even did activities involving parachutes! I've even been inside the house next door (pictured below). It's also worth mentioning that one of my mum's ex-boyfriends did some restoration work on the fountain across the road where Jews Walk meets Kirkdale.

Photo taken in 1978, so it was there atleast 3 years before I was born
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Falkor, here is a bit of information about the building in the photograph...

Grove Centre House, originally known as Farnborough Villa, was built about 1847. It was one of the first houses built in Jews Walk and the first occupant was George Smith, a chemist.

Probably the most interesting resident was Charles Letts. He lived in this house 1866-1872. In 1816 his grandfather began publishing "Letts's diary or bills owed book and almanack", the first commercially produced diary. His son (Charles' father) took over the firm in 1835. He built a factory at New Cross, and lived in Perry Hill for many years.

In 1870, to raise capital, a limited company was formed, “Letts, Son & Co”, the "Son" being Charles. However, Charles was dissatisfied with the way his father ran the business and resigned to form his own company, “Charles Letts & Co”. Charles' father's company went into liquidation, while his own company thrived. Charles Letts & Co, apparently, still exists but it is pleasing to think that its founder was living in Jews Walk when he created the company.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

The restoration of the fountain was in part funded by the Sydenham Society as part of the Silver Julbilee's celebrations in 1977. I wonder whether your mum's ex boyfriend was a member of the Sydenham Society, Falkor, and, if not, what his connections are?
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Grove Centre House, originally known as Farnborough Villa, was built about 1847. It was one of the first houses built in Jews Walk and the first occupant was George Smith, a chemist.
Wow, it's much older than I thought it was! :shock: There seems to be a few more oldish houses going down to Longton Grove on this side; perhaps they are all roughly the same age? BTW, I passed by the Grove Centre last night, and not only does it appears to still be a children's youth centre, but also an adult community centre at night--probably something to do with the church.
The restoration of the fountain was in part funded by the Sydenham Society as part of the Silver Julbilee's celebrations in 1977. I wonder whether your mum's ex boyfriend was a member of the Sydenham Society, Falkor, and, if not, what his connections are?
I asked my Mother about this... She said his name was "John something" (very helpful, I know!), and that he was just a workman--a Stone Mason to be precise. She doesn't think he was connected to the Sydenham Society. 1977 is probably about the right time John would have worked on it.

BTW, my mum went out with another John, and I remember going to a BBQ in the back garden of one of the Church Meadow houses on Westwood Hill. This John knew 2 guys who lived there you see... thought I would mention that. The whole triangle of Church Meadow houses around Westwood Hill, Jews Walk and Kirkdale looks very grand! :o