47 Wells Road - Family Research

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
nickyjane

47 Wells Road - Family Research

Post by nickyjane »

Hi,

I am really stumped with some family research about Dorothy May Hall, born 1898/9. Her marriage certificate (married at Emanuel Church, Norwood) lists her father as Edward Hall (Horse Breeder) but no geneologist I have contacted can find any birth with those details.

I have however found a birth of a Dorothy May Hall in 1899 to a Joseph and Frances Isabel Hall with the address listed as 47 Wells Road, Sydenham. I have been trying to find out more about this family to see if they are linked.

Having had a look around (I'm a real novice!) I can find no details of that property, can anyone help me please!

Many thanks!
Michael Viner

Re: 47 Wells Road - Family Research

Post by Michael Viner »

Dear nickyjane,47 Wells Rd.was one of a row of small two-up,two down cottages which were built c.1830 and were demolished in 1929(thus probably having been on 99 year leases)The site is now mainly the turning of a 1930's- built side road 'Mylis Close'
There is a fine photo of them(inc.No.47) in the book ' Sydenham and Forest Hill The Archive Photographs Series' by my friends John Coulter&John Seaman, first published in 1994 and still available and/or easy to find.The caption under the photo states it was taken 'around 1936' however, I have a rare photo of the cottages during demolition with '12-29' clearly on the back,unless it's some sort of serial number.I'll try and download this photo over the next few days.Hope this is of some use.Kind Regards,Michael
NB I should have added that Wells Rd. is now known as Wells Park Rd. and has been for quite a few decades now!
nickyjane

Post by nickyjane »

Michael - thank you so much for such an informative response! I had deduced that it was likely to now be Wells Park Road but with no record anywhere of number 47 that I could find I was quite baffled.

I'm still at a complete loss as to the family mystery or where to go with establishing if the Dorothy May Hall from 47 is the same person I'm looking for but I'm glad to have that info and will be sure to look up that book.

The marriage cert I referred to states father's name as John Edward Hall and his occupation as 'horse breeder' and the birth cert for the Dorothy May at 47 Wells Road states the father as Joseph Hall and his occupation as a farrier.

From your knowledge, can you shed any light on the area in relation to these names or occupations?

Thanks again! Nicky
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Well a farrier looks after horses hoofs,but also has to know a lot about horses, perhaps he was a breeder when he got married, then moved on to be a farrier? Maybe he did both? Perhaps he thought it sounded better on a certificate to be called a horse breeder? Good luck with your search,I have been researching my family for years, I found the website B M D (births marriage deaths) run by the mormon church a good site to use,and its free! Bonus!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Michael Viner

Post by Michael Viner »

47 Wells Rd by Michael Viner, on Flickr

From John Coulter & John Seamans' book.
Last edited by Michael Viner on 25 Jun 2012 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
nickyjane

Post by nickyjane »

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately can't see the picture you uploaded, just showing as a red cross!

NJ
Michael Viner

Post by Michael Viner »

No's 45 to 49 Wells Rd.1929? by Michael Viner, on Flickr

No.'s 45-49 Wells Rd. possibly 1929,during demolition. No.47 is the one in the middle,with the chimney.Note the boy with the handcart,who might be helping his demolition man dad(or perhaps himself!) carry away some material.Or perhaps he's just been shopping.'12-29' is stamped on the back of the photo and the ladies fashions would be about right for then.
nickyjane

Post by nickyjane »

BRILLIANT! What wonderful pictures!

They may not, of course, be anything to do with my family as I still can't figure out the mystery of Dorothy, but what a wonderful glimpse into another era!

Thank you so much for your effort to upload, really appreciate it.

NJ