Mount Ash Road

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
marymck

Re: Mount Ash Road

Post by marymck »

I've been trying to paste the bomb damage map here as a quote, but can't seem to manage it. So, I hope my post makes sense without it ...

At the top of the map are two buildings marked purple - i.e. "damaged beyond repair". But these are 28 and 26 Kirkdale and they're still standing. Oo er ... should we be worried?
mikej

Post by mikej »

No, because quite often houses were rebuilt after the war in more or less the same style as when built. A V weapon destroyed several houses in the southern part of Kent House road, but the Victorian semis were rebuilt again, and it's hard to see the join now!
maureen barrett

Post by maureen barrett »

Hi there, I have just read the message from Bing Bong ref Panmure Road and Mountain Ash.
My mother talked of the bomb that dropped on Panmure Road.It blew all the windows out of the houses at the top of Bradford Road and the shop on the corner opposite the mission hall where she was living at the time(later became a greengrocers).She spent her childhood and all of her early married life in Bradford Road,staying there after her marriage in 1941 so your grandmother would have known her.She was one of the Myerson girls, what was your grandmothers name.Nearly all the families in Bradford Road were second and third generation to live there, so they all grew up together and knew their parents as well.
Maureen Barrett nee Myles
Andi

Post by Andi »

Hello .I'm new to this site. My mother in law lived at 40 Mount Ash Road with her family.. I remember her saying that they were about to have tea when the doodle bug dropped on Panmure Road. She said an enormous clod of earth hit the front of the house , The front window blew in ;the baby was thrown across the room : the treadle sewing machine fell over on top of one of the boys and broke his leg and another was injured.. The cakes she had made were spattered all over the walls..They rushed down the road carrying the injured tots and got a lift with the 'swill man' down to the children's hospital. For years after, there was always a bow in the front wall which wasn't fixed until my father in law bought the house in the '80s. It was rented up until then. It was sold on after he died.
Mount Ash Road had a very close community made up of quite a few large families like my mother in law's.