Taylors Lane / Rowland Grove

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
thebufferuk

Taylors Lane / Rowland Grove

Post by thebufferuk »

Help needed, I'm looking to obtain a photograph or two of Taylors Lane in or around Scrobies and St Phillips Church Hall and also of Rowland Grove, my mother was born at 35 Wells Road and also lived with her parents at the top of Rowland Grove on the right (37 I think) she also lived at 33 Taylors lane upto 1969 when our house was compulsory purchased by the council and demolished. Thanks in advance.
Michael Viner

Re: Taylors Lane / Rowland Grove

Post by Michael Viner »

Scrobies Taylors Lane by Michael Viner, on Flickr

Hello there-in response to your request,here's a photo of great old Mr&Mrs.Scrobie's shop,37 Taylors Lane c.1971,kindly lent by John Seaman from his collection.As can be seen it was an off license/corner shop/ sweet shop combined, really.So many memories of going in here in the early 70's.It was a life saver at times;one of the few shops to even be open on a Sunday back then,let alone until the evening-I was often sent there on errands as a boy if we'd run out of bread or eggs,say.The houses in the background were at the bottom of Coombe Rd. and were demolished very soon after this,1971/2.A few years later Scrobies would be the last buliding left(apart from St.Philips Church) in this part of Taylors Lane down to the turning,although the derelict Church Hall remained for a little while. Scrobies was certainly still there in the mid- 70's I remember.I think it went about 77'.There is a photo of the old St.Philips Church Hall (which was next door or so to your old house at 33) somewhere on this site-I recall seeing it a while ago.If no longer there,I'll try and put the photo on myself,as I also have it.Sadly, I don't know of any clear photos of No.33 Taylors Lane.You might be able to just about see it in the distance in one or two of the old postcards reproduced in the books on old Sydenham. KInd Regards,Michael
marymck

Post by marymck »

That's a lovely atmospheric photo Michael, thank you for sharing it. Is that a lamp over the doorway?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Michael Viner

Post by Michael Viner »

Dear Mary,Yes,it's a lamp over the doorway advertising Charrington's Toby Ale.Glad you liked the photo,kind regards,Michael
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

If the van wasn't in the back ground,you would expect Fagin to be around the corner !

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
thebufferuk

Post by thebufferuk »

Michael many thanks for sharing this image I'd forgotten those steps but can remember the bare boards and sawdust inside, I still have on my keyring to this day a Watney's Red Barrel that Mr Scrobie gave me, your kind response is much appreciated.
Malcolm R
spitnolan

Post by spitnolan »

This is a great picture.

I don’t know how many times I was sent to Scrobie’s by my mum for bread (stacked on the shelf on the left hand side as you went in, ‘Mother’s Pride’ and unwrapped / unsliced ‘Hovis’ loaves) or for cigarettes (“Ask Mr Scrobie for two tens of Gold Leaf”).

In the summertime there was a constant procession of kids from the paddling pools in Wells Park crossing Taylors Lane for sweets and ice creams.
dicktaylor

Post by dicktaylor »

Hi Michael, I am related to the Scrobies Taylors Lane, I lost contact with Iris Scroby nee Goulder she was last living at 77 Taylors Lane. Can anyone help ?
Dick
Michael Viner

Post by Michael Viner »

Dear Dick,Sorry to say I believe Iris Scroby passed away a few years back-some 5 or 6 years ago,if I remember hearing rightly.Another great Old Sydenham person gone ;she was a nice,gentle lady.
Kind Regards,Michael
suehingley

Post by suehingley »

I really like this picture - the first I have seen of Scrobies since I grew up on Taylors Lane during the 1950's and 60's Their big german shepherd Timber was always sitting outside, looking a bit daunting but gentle as anything.
Michael Viner

Post by Michael Viner »

Mr-&-Mrs-Scrobie by Michael Viner, on Flickr

Dear Sue,Glad you liked the photo-I'm sure you'll like this one too! Yes,I remember Mr.Scrobie's German Shepherd-he was nearly as big as Mr.Scrobie(he was only a small chap)! All the local kids were terrified of him 'It's Scrobie's dog!' was a familiar cry in Taylors Lane in the 70's.
This is Mr & Mrs Scrobie in their shop c.1974.A wonderful,rare photo,kindly lent by John Seaman from his collection.This is just how I remember the shop,and Mr. and Mrs. Scrobie.Note the Bandit bar advert,the packets of Wotsits at 3p and the cans of Strike Cola.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Surely the Scrobie's German Shepherd Dog was called "Major"?
spitnolan

Post by spitnolan »

What a remarkable picture. Mr Scrobie looks just as I remember him and if I think of Mrs Scrobie, it's standing behind the meat slicer at the end of the shop.

Did they have a daughter? She might have lived near the corner of Taylors Lane and Longton Grove.

Sometimes you'd walk past the yard at the back of Scrobie's and the German Shepherd would go berzerk.