Newlands park house

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
stone-penge

Newlands park house

Post by stone-penge »

Does anyone have info on the huge victorian villa that used to stand on Newlands park on the site where the current 70's office building is.
knocked down in the 70's is my understanding.
Regards
S.P.
tulse hill terry

Post by tulse hill terry »

Doesn't really answer your question, but I forgot I had this postcard, and this seemed a good place to post it. :lol:
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Is that anything to do with the old tollgate on the right? I reckon Sydenhamites would have needed to pay tuppence in order to visit picturesque Penge for a day out... :lol:
Ross

Post by Ross »

Dear tulse hill terry,
That postcard is great and it is virtually the view from our flat. Would you consider sending us a copy or better still selling the original to us?
Thanks.
Aussie

Re:

Post by Aussie »

tulse hill terry wrote:Image

Doesn't really answer your question, but I forgot I had this postcard, and this seemed a good place to post it. :lol:
Would Bailey Place be near this location?
stone-penge

Re: Newlands park house

Post by stone-penge »

This is the House I'm referring to:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sydenham-Newl ... 7675.l2557

Anyone got any more info?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

If you say knocked down in the 70's then should know it as lived in Venner and used to walk the dog often along NP and HP.

You refer to new office block. What do you mean , Volkspares ????

They used to be in Venner and moved to NP about early 70's.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

I think it may have stood on the site of the met Police buildings Eagle. I'm not sure if it was taken down in the 70's or earlier now. I did see that image in a local history book once but haven't been able to track it down.
multisync

Post by multisync »

I think there used to be a factory on the site where the police building is. It was Wayne's that used to make petrol pumps.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes where the Police building is there was in 60's a Grundig factory come repair shop.

This building must have been somewhere else. Could it have been where Volkspares now are as , I mentioned, they moved from Venner in early 70's.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Chris Doran

Post by Chris Doran »

Early directories and maps show 4 large houses:-

Westbourne Road
36 Charlton
38 Claremont
40 Cambridge Lodge
42 Newlands Park
Studland Road

The first three formed a terrace filling just over half the length and Newlands (Park) stood in its own grounds with several outbuildings. Pre-WW2 directories do indeed have the Wayne Tank & Pump Co Ltd at No 42.

I think the lollipop in front of the street lamp in the postcard above is a fire alarm point (to call the brigade in the days before widespread telephones).
Chris Doran

Post by Chris Doran »

For completeness: I've now found another map and directories which add a pair of semi-detached houses at 32 and 34 (unnamed) after Westbourne Road. A 1933 map shows a large number of buildings alongside the park in the back garden of Newlands, presumably the factories,

A 1916 directory confirms that there was a fire alarm between nos 68 and 70, thus locating the postcard view.