List of books published on the history of Lewisham borough?

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

List of books published on the history of Lewisham borough?

Post by Falkor »

Obviously, it would be too much of a big task to list every book published on the subject, but if we could get some kind of list going for books published in the last 2 decades and all those that are in print then that would be great, although some of the recent ones are even impossible to find. A WH Smith's publication titled "Lewisham Past and Present" doesn't even appear on a Google search, but I've seen a copy down the Local Studies Centre.

As you know, Lewisham borough includes Sydenham, and most of these books contains information/photos of Sydenham, as well as Blackheath, Lee, Hither Gree, Brockley, Crofton Park, New Cross, Deptford, Ladywell, Forest Hill, Catford, Bellingham, Downham and Grove Park. Therefore, I may also post this request at other relevant forums, too.
Around Lewisham & Deptford: After fifteen years, eight volumes, and one thousand five hundred and eighty six old Lewisham photographs I did not anticipate troubling the reading public with yet another in the series.
So let's start with:

BRITAIN IN OLD PHOTOGRAPHS

01) London - Lewisham and Deptford (1990) by John Coulter.
02) Lewisham and Deptford A Second Selection (1992) by John Coulter.
03) Sydenham and Forest Hill (1994) by John Coulter and John Seaman.
04) Lewisham (1995*) by John Coulter & Barry Olley.
05) Lewisham and Deptford A Third Selection (1997) by John Coulter.
06) A Century of Lewisham (1999)
07) Lewisham Past and Present (2001)
08 )Forest Hill & Sydenham (2003) by John Coulter & John Seaman.
09) Around Lewisham & Deptford (2005) by John Coulter.
10) Has a 10th book been published yet?

*Does the new 2003 edition contain different photos and is it considered a new volume?

SYDENHAM / FOREST HILL

Sydenham and Forest Hill Past (1999) by John Coulter
Sydenham and Forest Hill (2005) by Joan P. Alcock.

Anyone else like to add to this topic?
alanh

Post by alanh »

Slightly off topic and older than a few decades, but what about this one: History of the 11th Service (Lewisham) Battalion, The Queens Own Royal West Kent Regiment. Written in 1933 by Captain R.O. Russell, M.C. single volume history that was published as a limited edition by the Lewisham Newspapers Co. Ltd

Alan
BingBong

Post by BingBong »

On the very local history front, there are quite a few titles on my bookshelf. I'm including the ISBNs so you can drop into Kirkdale Books and see what's still in print. Don't bother with WH SMith, they'd struggle to sell you anything that's not in the top 10. Try these - all have references to old Sydenham:

- "Forest Hill and Sydenham" by Adrian Prockter, published by London Reference Books in 1987, ISBN 0 9509402 3 2
- "Camille Pissaro at the Crystal Palace" by Nicholas Reed 1987; same publisher as above, ISBN 0 9509402 4 0: has great shots of Pissaro's paintings shown side by side with photographs
- "Sydenham and Forest Hill Past" by John Coulter, published by Historical Publications, ISBN 0 948667 61 3
- "Sydenham and Forest Hill history & guide" by Joan P. Alcock, Tempus Publishing Ltd ISBN 0 7524 3406 3
- "Sydenham and Forest Hill old photography series" compiled by John Coulter and John Seaman, pubished by Alan Sutton Ltd ISBN 0 7524 0036 3
- "Sydenham" by Doris E. Pullen, ISBN 0 9504171 0 6
- "Forest Hill" by Doris E Pullen, ISBN 0 9504171 1 4
- "Dulwich - a history" by Brian Green, published by The College Press, ISBN 0 9543353 1 7

Happy reading...
samuel

The Phoenix Suburb

Post by samuel »

Hiya,
I am a 1st timer within this forum. I must say your forum is so very interesting, full of a wealth of information. I will be spending many hours reading the museum articles and viewing your many photos.
I have a book called The Phoenix Suburb, by Alan R Warwick. 2nd Edition. It has black and white photos. I would recommend this book and up until now I have worshipped it. BUT the Sydenham Town Museum has much much more information, but in colour too :!:
Keep up the good work :D :D
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Lewisham History and Guide--the main book--I'm going to order it from Amazon!