Mill Gardens

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

Mill Gardens

Post by Falkor »

Mill Gardens on the 1894 Ordinance Survey map

1) I assume this photo matches circle 1 on the map above and taken in the direction of the arrow?

2) I assume these cottages match circle 2 on the map above?

3) I assume the existing Home Cottage is circled directly above in yellow?

4) Above is an old photo showing Home Cottage, but where or which direction is it taken from?

1843 Tithe Map

1862 Standford Map

Painting of Jews Walk--cropped to show Wells Park Road (see Fransfield Grove topic...)

5) Can you match the red circles on the painting to the blue circles on the maps? I've already assigned most of them, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Red (01) = ?
Red (02) = ?
Red (03) = ?
Red (04) = ?
Red (05) = Blue (05)
Red (06) = Blue (07)
Red (07) = Blue (08 )
Red (08 )= Blue (10)
Red (09) = Blue (11)
Red (10) = Blue (12)

6) Is the 9th red circle the Beehive pub by any chance? On the Stanford map (11th circle), this building is a reverse "L" shape, which I know to definitely be the Beehive, but on the earlier Tithe map it's just a square. Therefore, could the 9th red circle on the painting be a building that came before the Beehive? It has a distinctive chimney beside it...

Any help would be much appreciated!
Last edited by Falkor on 7 Dec 2006 09:19, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Goodness, you've extracted a lot of information from that already. I've uploaded a few more pictures of Mill Gardens [here](a couple are duplicates), but it's too late now for me to give a proper reply. That'll have to wait till tomorrow. I do, however, agree with you about the Beehive.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Many thanks to Steve for sharing those photos, including upgrades. In those semi-old photos of Home Cottage, you can see it was given a brick shell, but some of the timber can be seen at the side with an extention. If you have a walk around Mill Gardens now though, the extention has gone and the brick shell is all around.

Note: The old Hensford Gardens pub on Wells Park Road was directly in line with Mill Lane.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

There's UNTOLD photos of Mill Gardens at the local studies centre--I must have been blind before--including a painting by E. Cook!