Fox & Hounds pub + Denham Court, Kirkdale

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

Fox & Hounds pub + Denham Court, Kirkdale

Post by Falkor »

Image Image
Ordinance Survey maps--1894 (left) and 1914 (right).

Comparing these maps needs careful examination. Looking at the earlier map, it appears the Fox & Hounds pub was once on it's own with a big triangle of grass around it! Also, before Denham Court was built (big brown block of flats; white from Halifax street), there was, for many years, a big open space there (seen in the later map). I would be interested to know about the shops that were demolished to make way for this open space that was apparently vacant throughout the wars; are any photos known to exist of these shops? You can see about 9 buildings were demolished, as well as a big complex standing right behind them (occupying part of what is now lock-up garages for Halifax street residents); what's this all about!? Perhaps Steve will know something about the history of this western side of Kirkdale? Also note: looking at the 1914 map, the fancy parade--opposite the Kentmen's fish and chip shop--was built in c1900. The parade at the bottom of Wells Park Road had also been built by this time, so the Fox & Hounds no longer had that big triangle of open space around it anymore. It would be interesting to see some old photos of the Fox & Hounds, as none have been published in any books that I'm aware of...
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

In case anyone isn't aware, Steve has kindly shared some photos!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevegrindlay/

You can see a perfect view of this side of Kirkdale from around the turn of the previous century, looking through the gap between some of the buildings, into the complex behind. Steve and I both noticed there's a rather tall building on the right hand side! Unfortunately, there's no photos of this, whatever it was... BTW, I found a photo of the Post Office in the Pullen book, which is now a Piano shop.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Falkor wrote:In case anyone isn't aware, Steve has kindly shared some photos!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevegrindlay/
Thanks for mentioning that, Falkor. I was intending to write something about them, but got diverted (short attention span, I'm afraid).

Here are the pictures. Between them they show the site now covered by Denham Court. The first shows the eastern part, just past That's Amore and the bookies:

And this picture shows the side towards the piano shop (Boucher's, as was):

The same advertisement (for the Catford Cycling Club's Sports Fete) appears at the right edge of the first picture and the left of the second. Both photographs were most likely taken in 1907. There are adverts for several events in that year, including Sheffield Wednesday v Everton in the FA Cup Final at Crystal Palace (Sheffield Wednesday won 2-1). The shops were clearly empty at this time, and were demolished shortly after, certainly by 1911.

Denham Court was built in the mid-1930s so the site was empty for more that 20 years. It was originally called "Sydenham Court". For some reason the name needed to be changed, so they simply knocked the "Sy" off.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

It was originally called "Sydenham Court". For some reason the name needed to be changed, so they simply knocked the "Sy" off.
:lol:
Lostmind

Those above Photographs

Post by Lostmind »

Mr Steve Grindlay, I'd just like to thank you for making my day!
A few months ago I finally got around to starting my family tree. I have, to date, traced my fathers side back to the mighty town of Sydenham.
I have been looking for any old photographs of the area because my family had business there ... and then I stumble on these postings ... and there it is!

The J. Ashby Fishmongers and Poulters shown was started by my Great, Great Great Grandfather, William, but when he died towards the end of the 1800's, his second oldest son, Joshua, took over. His older Brother, William (JR) had already started an Ice Merchant Business in Greenwich by this time.

A great find (for me anyway!). Many thanks.

P.S.
A number of postings on the history of Sydenham have been cracking!
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I've just spent a fascinating few hours reading through the many posts on here and admiring the photos uploaded to here and Flickr.

Something I am particularly trying to establish though is the history (and any photographs) of the Parade of shops at the end of Wells Park Road towards the Fox & Hounds.

I now know that they were built circa 1900 and that the shop with the metal shutters permanently in place was called 'Shorts' - and that they had all closed by the 70s. But has anyone any further information on the rest of this Parade?

Thanks!
brian stimson

Post by brian stimson »

[quote="Gaz"]I've just spent a fascinating few hours reading through the many posts on here and admiring the photos uploaded to here and Flickr.

One of the shops was a hardware shop sadly I can't remember the name but I went to St. Barts School in the late forties with the owner's son, perhaps Eagle remembers the name. By the way the Fox and Hounds pub in the fifties was a bit "lairy" with fights quite often about closing time.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

The land on which The Parade was built appears have been part of the grounds of the Fox and Hounds, which was rebuilt in about 1891. High Street Buildings (also on Fox and Hounds land) was built in 1896 and I suspect that the brewery (or whoever owned the land) completed this development by building The Parade in about 1900.

Obviously 1-7 The Parade were originally shops, with living accommodation above. In 1901 the occupants were a decorator, hairdresser, bootmaker, confectioner and tobacconist. And these are the occupants from the 1939 Kelly's Directory:

This is the best I can do for a picture, taken in 1951:
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Many thanks Brian & Steve, that's very interesting and informative.

Gaz