Wells Park Road shops

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

Wells Park Road shops

Post by Falkor »

The main Wells Park Road shops (Spa or Londis?), next to the now former Duke, were once divided up into multiple shops. This was the case from the late 50s, when the parade was built on the site of a former parade, until the early 90s when it became one big shop.

I seem to recall 2 sweet shops (1 each end) with a greengrocers in the middle. However, I was chatting to a member of staff in the shop, and he believes it was once divided into 4 places, including a butchers and laundrette!? He showed me their storeroom, which used to be one of the sweetshops from the 80s--complete with retaining shelves.

I remember that greengrocers well, and it would be nostalgic to see a photo of it, but I doubt any would have been taken from this period. The other shops are where I had my first childhood experience of buying sweets. They used to have a machine outside where you inserted a coin, turned the dial and out popped a sweet! I don't see these machines anymore... Another thing I no longer see down Wells Park Road, or any street for that matter, are those red and white canopies for road workmen. Anyone remember these?

Anyhow, I certainly don't recall a butchers and laundrette down Wells Park Road, but I was young.
leaf

Post by leaf »

Hello Falkor!

I remember john menzies the newsagent.

I remember the greengrocers who also used to sell frozen squash in polystyrene cups in the summer for 5p!

i know there were other shops there isjust dont rememver them.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Kingstons the Butchers, Silver Willow (pound store type even in the 60's), Ray's newsagents ( Ray had a second newsagent further down the road)and the Spar - all now incorporated into the larger Spar. Adams , the Park Stores, two greengrocers, two hairdressers, the bakers, an oil shop ( an awful fire on these premises resulted in a young girl being found dead sheltering in an upstairs wardrobe), corner shop upholsterers, Bryce the builders with retail shop opposite - Richard Bryce is just about to retire and old Mrs Bryce was still alive when last I heard about 3 months ago. Just gone brain dead - can anyone else add some more?
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Thanks Pat! That's a big list of shops... would be nice to know them in better historical context. Are you including the shops, opposite, where Bradford Close was built, as well as the ones at the foot of Rowland Grove? Does your list include shops that occupied Wells Terrace? I'm mainly interested in the parade next to the Duke, as I never saw the others. My mum doesn't even remember a butchers, so when did that close--and what replaced it? Also, can you confirm if the parade went from 4 shops to 3 shops then 1 shop (or from 4 straight to 1)?
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Kingston's the butchers and one hairdresser were next to the Duke (of Edinburgh) in those days! but I cannot recall which was the first in line. Silver Willow came next and Spar was the last in the row. I've actually been made to recall this a bit better and Ray's was not in this row of shops

Opposite next to the Talma were (again difficult to remember in which order) were Ray's newsagent, Adams ( a miserable man who wasn't cut out to be a retailer!) who sold groceries, and the Village stores also selling groceries.

On the corner of Rowland Grove was the upholterers with the second hairdresser on the opposite corner.

I moved into Upper Sydenham in 1969 and used to shop in Wells Park Road which was called the village. It had almost all gone by 1972 when it the area was redeveloped
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Lewisham Local Studies have got some new photos of Wells Park Road from 1961! I was panicking mate... this is the best view I've seen of the shops opposite the Duke! :shock:

leaf

Post by leaf »

Hello Falkor

That picture is interesting to see,so different to now!

I wonder if you have or know of any pictures of that detached house that once stood on the plot next to the top taylors lane entrance to wells park?
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Hi leafy!

I'm not sure if I know which house you are referring to, but could it be one of the 2 cottages featured in the "Evolution of Wells Park Road" topic? There was one cottage with a double roof, next to the entrance on the right hand side, as well as a cottage directly opposite the entrance.
leaf

Post by leaf »

Ive just had a look at that thread and the house im thinking of isnt one of those on there,it seems as though it [the house im thinking of]was on the same plot that the double roofed cottages were judging by where the railings are.

The house im talking about was painted[whitewashed?]white and had green[i think?]paint on window frames or ledges,it wasnt a typical 'english' style of building.

I think it was demolished about 15+ yrs ago?
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Oh ok... I was too young to remember what other buildings were on that plot. It's difficult to keep up with the changing face of Wells Park Road. Did you know that the Fox and Hounds pub is not the original building, but a rebuilding of an original from about the 1820s? Plus you know about the other Fox and Hounds that was in Peak Hill [no photo].
leaf

Post by leaf »

Ah,thats a shame,maybe steve might know which house im talking about and wether any pics exist?

I didnt know that the fox was rebuilt,but thinking about it,the facade IS a little different to the rest of the parade,do you know when it was rebuilt,was it damaged in ww2?
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

I don't know, but it must have been really early, around 1840s-1860s! And the old Fox and Hounds may not have been exactly in the same place as it is now... I got high quality snaps of the 1843 Tithe map now, but I haven't yet checked to see which Fox & Hounds is on it (if I will even be able to tell).
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

The building at the center of the above view still remains a mystery...
It's quite tall and I can't figure out what it was... :? Does anyone else know?
thebufferuk

Re: Wells Park Road shops

Post by thebufferuk »

You probably already have the answer to the question about but if I'm not mistaken the picture has been taken looking up Wells Road (Wells Park Road) towards Wells Park. The building that you mention as being in the middle is actually St Phillips Primary school with the cottages that fronted Wells Road, beyond that is Taylors Lane and the cottages that stood on the corner and backed onto the park. The tall building before the school is on the corner of Coombe Road and Wells Road and was a pub; I think it was called the Alma.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes the Pub was The Talma and may very well still be so.
The building next to The Talma going up the hill was St Philip's C of E infant school which I attended in the 50's when the Headmistress was Olive Nash.
thebufferuk

Post by thebufferuk »

Thanks for the confirmation, I was only ten when we had to move out due the clearance; I went to St Phillips infants and then onto St Barts the area is important to me as my mother was born in 35 Wells Road (1922) where her Gran lived, her mother married at St Barts and worked in one of the big houses on West Wood Hill for a time and her Dad worked on the Upper Sydenham Railway.I have alot of fond memories of the area. I also have to say that she has a good memory of the area even now, Cheers.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

What years did you attend St Philip's and St Bart's
bradfordroadgirl

Post by bradfordroadgirl »

Have just had a good look at the two photos above.

The building just past Taylor's Lane was not really in use since 1940 and the bottom flat housed a family who then moved onto the Sydenham Hill estate. The dad/grandad was known locally as Sailor Johnson. It was pulled down in the clearance. The lower level had once been a hairdressers and my Aunt, Dora Appleby trained there in about 1938/39. By the time of the 1961 photo it had fallen into disrepair. Just past that building, going up the hill alongside the park were about 4 old cottages. The rear of all these backed the park.

There were 2 greengrocers in that area; Fred Wallman's was part of the now Spar (from 1930's - well into the 50's) and the other was opposite St Phillip's School and was run by George Arnold from 30's - about late 50's but not totally sure when it came down. There were shops where there's now the little bungalows and the Vicarage.

The Butchers (between Wallman's and The Duke) was called Bradley's. These were all there in the 30s, 40s and 50s but not sure when they individually ceased to be.

Towards the corner of Old Dallas Road there was a barbers shop and little sweet/tobacco shop.

Bradleys Butchers became a hairdressers by 1960. The OTHER(!!) butcher was Wellbeloveds which was nearer to Rowland Grove and was there throughout my Mum's childhood in the 30s and for many years after that.

From 1930s to end of 50s there was a fish and chip shop near Rowland Grove on that same side Also Fiskes Drapery.

There was also a Crane's shoeshop and a Sterry's Grocers near Brices. On the other side of Rowland Grove there was a shop called Brockies and also an upholsterers. Sorry not to be more specific with dates but most of these are memories from my mother's early years and she says that some were gone by the end of the forties and others changed names etc.,

The Launderette was near the corner of Dallas and probably part of the now Spar or just along. It was one of the first Launderettes and as you can imagine, very, very busy. Most people were still washing by hand so this was a luxury and everyone wanted a go!

In about 1959 when I was 5, there seemed to be lots of little shops along Wells Park Road. One of the helpers from St Bart's School lived in a house roughly opposite Halifax Street, a Mrs Watson/Watkins? Who played the piano beautifully. Her house was still there in 1964 as two girls and I went in to visit her.

Mrs Watson's house/cottage was next door to a little pub that was called The Cottage of Content. This was a bit before my time but my mother says the landlords (longterm) were called Nightingale.

In the photo, there is a shop called JS Brown - it was formerly, called Willoughbys. The shop next to it that's only partly in the photo was run by a lady known as 'Old Lottie Robinson' who was always being would up by the local wags and often called the police to complain about the pranksters. In about 1935 she had left a note in the top of an empty milk bottle asking for '1 pint please' and my Uncle changed it to '10 pints please' (tame stuff compared to nowadays!)

There's more but I've waffled on enough for now.
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

You can waffle on as far as i am concerned...very interesting and fascinating! Thanks for that. LIve in Halifax Street and always interested to know what the surrounding area was like. Thanks
bradfordroadgirl

Post by bradfordroadgirl »

I need to post an apology as something written in my last post isn't correct; The building in questiin (from the photo) is not the one I described. On Sunday, I showed the picture to my parents and they both say that whatever that structure was, it was more recent. In fact, strangely, neither can place it! We were left wondering if it was a temporary structure to do with all the building works although that doesn't seem likely.

The building they spoke f was earlier and right on the corner of Taylors lane

How weird!
Speaking to my mother is like an audio history book - sydeman, she remembers nigh on everyone who lived in Halifax St in the 30s and many were still there after the war.