Discovering Sydenham and Catford

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

Discovering Sydenham and Catford

Post by Falkor »

WOW, this book is superb! :shock:

When I first flicked through this relatively small looking book, I falsely assumed it would be too basic for me. I went straight to the Rushey Green pages, hunting for a description of how the greens, bridges, moats and watercourses all fitted together, but of course was let down as always with any history book dealing with Catford. Later that night, I was bored, and decided to read the Foreword. The book claims to not be a work of local history, but a guide to existing buildings. "The emphasis is on what is there now, not so much what has been there in the past".

At this point, I was almost completely turned off! I was close to throwing the book away and never reading it. However, I decided to read one section, and was blown away by the dates! This is clearly a book of dates. Every surviving building of significance is given a date, and by cross-referencing, they appear to be accurate I'm pleased to say! Where did the author get all these dates from!? I'm impressed... Darrell describes the interior of the Cedars in Sydenham Hill among other interesting observations; best I can describe is the garden. I've only read a few chapters, but have already come to the conclusion on what I think is the best line in the whole book! :D Wait for it...

"Fox & Hounds, no 150, a pub originally of 1824 but rebuilt 1894"

Splendid, splendid! :D But I wonder what the old pub looked like? There must have been some photos taken... :evil:

This book is excellent, mate... Dates after dates, non-stop; very informative! The R.R.P. is only £5.99; can't go wrong there! Do you live around Sydenham and can't be asked to read those boring local history books teasing us about grand 8 bedroom villas that lined the edges of Sydenham Hill in scores, even though they no longer exist? I seriously recommend picking up a copy of Darrell Spurgeon's guide...

I've finally learnt the lesson that you cannot judge a book by it's cover. :wink: