16 Jews Walk

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
bensonby

16 Jews Walk

Post by bensonby »

Was apparently owned by the Metropolitan Police in 1999 according to this list of property that they proposed for sale: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 201w04.htm

According to Zoopla it's a 4 bedroom house and was sold in March 1999 and then in 2011. Does anyone know why the Met owned it and for what purpose?
michael

Re: 16 Jews Walk

Post by michael »

Presumably as accommodation for officers and their families.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Presumably, but I've never heard of the Met providing family homes for officers at any time in its history...
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

Could it have been as a form of safe house?
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Could have been.... I guess we'd never really know if that was the case. If you look down that list from 1999 there are loads and loads of properties - very few seem to be police stations, police offices, or section houses.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Due to the nature of safe houses perhaps best to close this discussion.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

It was sold 14 years ago eagle.... it won't be anything to do with the police anymore.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

OK apologies.
michael

Post by michael »

bensonby wrote:I've never heard of the Met providing family homes for officers at any time in its history...
I thought that was what Miriam Lodge was. And I had school friends back in the 80s who lived in police flats in Honor Oak Road and Taymount Rise (in a similar town house to 16 Jews Walk). I don't know what the situation is with the flats in Honor Oak Road but the one in Taymount Rise is no longer associated with the police.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I was under the impression that the police used to have section housing (small induvidual rooms or small flats) but hadnt heard of them providing four bed family homes and the like. Could be wrong though.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
bradfordroadgirl

Post by bradfordroadgirl »

Back in 1969, I was at Sydenham School with a girl called Judith, who lived in a rented police house and the houses were new. They're near the top of Kirkdale above what is now Otto Close. They were eventually sold off. Same thing for a little row of houses in Dartmouth Road, Suncroft Place, opposite the girls school and at the side of the police station. They too were sold off ages ago.

It must have been a short lived thing, family police houses.
multisync

Post by multisync »

I think there were also some family police houses in Mylis Close around that time
Ordinary civilian 2

Post by Ordinary civilian 2 »

I live and own this property. A few things: I am in no way connected to the police whatsoever.. Second we have had criminal damage at this property so stop any further comment. If you want to continue your social history research can I suggest you do not open up irresponsible posts named after the property concerned. In the current political climate i believe it is extremely irresponsible to have written such a post.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I am closing this thread while I investigate.

Admin