Clark & Mahoney, Wire workers

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
christine barrett

Clark & Mahoney, Wire workers

Post by christine barrett »

I should be grateful for any information on this wire working business (lamp frame wires a speciality) that existed previously in 90 High Street Sydenham SE 26. My paternal grandfather was Charles Henry Mahoney and his daughter, my mother, was Florence May Ludbrook who was born in 1922 when Charles Mahoney was living in London. Any information on the High Street c1920s or wire working businesses may be useful. Thank you
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Christine, I have a bit of information but nothing, I'm afraid, on Charles Mahoney. 90 High Street would now be 209 Dartmouth Road, except that it was destroyed during the war. The site is now used for selling second hand cars.

In 1919 Thomas Clark was a wire worker at 93 High Street (now 136 Dartmouth Road). This was directly opposite no.90, and was destroyed by the same bomb. From 1920 to 1925 he was at 90 High Street. From 1926 to 1933 Mrs M Clark was at the shop and in 1941 Mrs Mary Marnham was there, also as a wire worker.

You should contact <Lewisham Local Studies>. They might be able to give you some more information.
christine barrett

Post by christine barrett »

Dear Steve Thansk for this information on wire workers: Clark., I do keep drawing a blank on Mahoney. Chris