SYDENHAM (& LEWISHAMS) LOST CINEMAS

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
leenewham

SYDENHAM (& LEWISHAMS) LOST CINEMAS

Post by leenewham »

I great blog, a bit of a 'what was' about the lost cinemas of the Borough Of Lewisham.

A sort of testament of short sightedness and lack of vision. Well worth a look.

http://lewishamlostcinemas.wordpress.co ... t-cinemas/
marymck

Re: SYDENHAM (& LEWISHAMS) LOST CINEMAS

Post by marymck »

leenewham wrote:I great blog, a bit of a 'what was' about the lost cinemas of the Borough Of Lewisham.

A sort of testament of short sightedness and lack of vision. Well worth a look.

http://lewishamlostcinemas.wordpress.co ... t-cinemas/
Great link Lee, thank you for posting.

My uncle has memories of the Naborhood cinema and also talked about an ice rink in Silverdale (though I may have got confused about that last one - I'll ask him.)

I agree short sighted. Not a single replacement building of architectural merit has been built on those sites and so much potential lost.. The designers of those cinema had some flair.

The loss of commercial premises is something we should still fight today. We just don't seem to learn the lessons of the past or to think long term.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
michael

Post by michael »

I never thought that Co-op in Sydenham was particularly pretty, but at least it replaced the monstrosity that was there beforehand. Probably the ugliest cinema in Lewisham by the look of it.
marymck

Post by marymck »

michael wrote:I never thought that Co-op in Sydenham was particularly pretty, but at least it replaced the monstrosity that was there beforehand. Probably the ugliest cinema in Lewisham by the look of it.
True Michael. That one does look a bit grim and Soviet era. But the entrance camera right looks better. And inside, such stuff as dreams were made on (maybe).

I've heard my mum talk about a cinema called the bug hutch. I don't know its real name. Over Mottingham way, I think.

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I think that's a tad unfair Michael, other images paint it in a much prettier light (although I can't find them as they are in the pictures on the site (this is all I can find: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60808061@N ... ist-3dkGyD) but I've seen others.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Drifting geographically ...

My local cinema when I was a teenager was, in hindsight, quite weird. They used to cut the films to fit their timetable. I thought BlowUp a very strange film. It was only when I saw it years later that it made sense - the cinema had cut huge chunks out, completely muddling the story.

I also remember going to a public screening of Day of the Triffids, with my class from school. The opening title seq was barely over when our teacher stood up and started a compare and contrast with the book lecture. Shouts of "Sit down yous auld fool" from the paying patrons and down he sat. We could have applauded!

bradfordroadgirl

Post by bradfordroadgirl »

marymck wrote:
leenewham wrote:I great blog, a bit of a 'what was' about the lost cinemas of the Borough Of Lewisham.

My uncle has memories of the Naborhood cinema and also talked about an ice rink in Silverdale (though I may have got confused about that last one - I'll ask him.)

The one in Silverdale was apparently called The Rink.
marymck

Post by marymck »

That explains it! Thanks bradford road girl.