advice about wasp nest

Living in Sydenham and looking for a gardener, flat or whatever? Advertise free here
coll

advice about wasp nest

Post by coll »

Hello,
I was cleaning some ivy in my garden and disturbed what I suspect is a wasp nest. Its a hole in the ground where there is a lot of activity. I was bitten - not stung by one and another got my dog. I don't like the idea of having them exterminated. My understanding is that they do pollenate plants so they must be helpful.
I thought I would put something around it like old garden chairs to keep the dogs away. My concern is what will happen to them. Will they leave in the winter, or dye off?
I'd prefer them to find a different home next year.

Any advice and thoughts would be very appreciated.
Thank you
admin
Site Admin

Re: advice about wasp nest

Post by admin »

Sounds like a bumble bee nest - they often have nests in the ground. I don't think wasps do that.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I'd suggest you have an expert take a look. My son when young was almost stung when he retrieved a golf ball from a dent in the grass on a golf course, that turned out to be a wasp nest since many flew out!

I was stung once by a wasp and my whole leg swelled up, so I personally wouldn't take any chances.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Yes, get expert advice. If they are wasps, they can be removed (which would be safest). If they are ground bees, they need to be protected.