5-a-side footie

Home of 5-a-side footie and any other Sydenham Club who needs a forum for discussion or planning
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Another good match. I was pleased we actually seem to be swelling in numbers.....which is good when the mid-week price is subject to quite a hike. (apologies for mis-informing the players. Just like an MP, i promise to repay people who went out-of-pocket due to my accounting mistake)

The next match will be on a Wednesday in two weeks time. Kick off at 8pm. I'll update people in a weeks time.
It was a very close game with the orange bibs losing by the narrowist of margins. 43-3.

See you all in 2 weeks time.

Ali B
Last edited by ALIB on 11 Jul 2009 13:50, edited 1 time in total.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Thanks for organising, Ali.

See you in two weeks' time when the orange bibs will take their revenge!
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

it was a good game....I think I need to get training though.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Training? !
Last week Bensonby and Thomas were the spitting image of Ronaldo and Rooney. Last night they couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo.

Seriously, it was an enjoyable match. A 2 week break will no doubt lift fitness levels, so i won't be too worried. I think the score flattered the non-bibs to some extent as we weren't that wide of the mark in terms of fitness and skills. Next time we shall adopt some tactics......or is this getting a bit too competitive?...
ROJACKRD

Post by ROJACKRD »

Sorry I missed it last night, got caught up at work. How many showed up in the end?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Great game - glad to see there was no need for a defibrilator!

I think the closer marking this time exposed my lack of skill (not to mention absence of fitness and tactical awareness)
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

I think the fact we actually had 5 people a side made it a lot easier. However, I have really twisted my knee badly, so am doubtful for the next match.
Just to clarrify the prices and put potential matchdays up for discussion, For Friday afternoon/evenings, Saturday and Sunday, the cost per pitch is £41.50.
All other times the cost is £58.90
I don't know why the price difference, but i guess it's related to supply and demand.
Next date will be posted in a week or so.
lex

Post by lex »

Hi there, I'm a newbee on here but have read it for a couple of years, used to live in Sydenham and now South Norwood.
I'm just wondering why you dont play on Mayo Park......grass and free!?

Are ball games banned by the parkie? :shock: :shock:

I'm with a group who play ones a week in Balham, on the grass and for free. A few years ago (before I was around) they clubbed together and got some goal posts from ebay.

Hope your games go well, and if you ever play in the park please let me know.
Marathon

Post by Marathon »

Thanks for Weds Ali. I am starting to recover from my calf strain (within the first two minutes of getting onto the pitch - Doh) so two weeks time is good for me. Thank god the rest of me didn't ache like I did from the first game (I must be getting fitter!!??)

Lex - I prefer playing on the pitches because you don't have to passify your missus when you tread dog sh*t through the hallway, you don't have to go go on a hike to fetch the ball after some clogger (usually me) hoofs the ball out of the park, spending 10 minutes trying to get the ball away from a dog that has a better dribbling technique than you and it is a much faster paced game when you are bounded by four walls. Admittedly it would be cheaper to play on the grass, but I think it is worth the £5 or so per head.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

And also there are changing rooms, showers and a nice bar area at the sports centre. Call me pampered, but i think it's worth paying for.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I've got no objection to trying a game in the park -especially if the weather is nice.

But as marathon says, the walls are very convenient.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

there are 5-a-side pitches , for free, in the local area. I know sydenham wells park has one.

It is fenced and has goals. I'm not sure about size, because it looks like is defo not as big as the Copers Cope pitches. There is also a similar pitch at the end of Albion Villas.

Both of these are tarmac surfaces and may possibly be too small for adults playing 5 a side. We also cannot book these pitches and would therefore be vulnerable to being kicked off by groups of knife-wielding yoofs. (though this happened at our first week in Beckenham) These pitches also do not have floodlights.

£58 could be better spent on beer, but not if the alternative pitches aren't up to scratch.
Thoughts anyone?
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

i've just a telephone call from Ben at Goals in Beckenham.

1) if we wanted a free pitch tomorrow between 10am and 11am, then we can have a game. I told him it was too short a notice period. If anyone feels that we could go for it, then please post on this thread and if we get enough responses i'll call him back to book a pitch
2) I had complained about the price hike for the mid-week evening matches. Unfortunately, there seems to be no negotiation as they have a fixed tariff. He did suggest if we could get to the centre around 5pm on a weekday (ie straight after work), the charge would be a mere £36.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I can sometimes do 5pm easily enough...I can probably do that on quite a few days actually. But I work shifts so it's pretty unpredictable.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

OK, i may have to book another pitch for a wednesday 8pm kick off.

I can probably do June 3rd. Any takers? .........
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I'll be able to do that, but I'll have to leaev a bit early as I'll have to go to work....im on a night shift that day.
Marathon

Post by Marathon »

I'm in and I suspect that I can rustle up my brother and mate again. So that's 3 V 2 so far.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

I'm in. I'll bring the stylish orange bibs.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

we can always book at the day before as there seem to be spare pitches. We'll go for the 3rd then and i may be able to bring a.n.other.
the cost would be £58, so ideally getting 10 people would have less impact on the purse strings.
I'm hoping a few others will confrim their attendance in the next few days so we can go ahead with it.
Cheers biscuitman for bringing the ball and bibs.
Donny

Post by Donny »

You can count me and Paul in. Also may have my brother with me as he's visiting