Trick or treating

Forum for families to exchange information on children's activities, schools and share the travails of parenthood
Mazzer

Trick or treating

Post by Mazzer »

Hi there, does anybody know if there's an organised trick or treating event in Sydenham this year?

I've family over from abroad with three young kids who'd love to do some trick or treating. My kids are not of an age to have thought about trick or treating yet but I am kind of under the impression that imposing on poor unsuspecting neighbours with a gaggle of sweet-hungry children isn't really the done thing these days? Or am I wrong and it's still an embraced tradition? I was thinking I could pre-warn a few neighbours to expect us, does anybody want some cute/spooky visitors on Byne road next week?

Marie
Hannah

Re: Trick or treating

Post by Hannah »

There is an organised trick or treating event on Sydenham high street from 4-5pm I believe....cannot find the info anywhere on where to meet etc

Also 167 Sydenham Road has Halloween treats, fun, games and crafts going on between 3-6pm if you wanted to drop in on your rounds.

I think people that want visitors tend to have decorated their front window/porch with pumpkins etc.....we get lots on our road when we remember to have a pumpkin in the porch. The year I forgot to do the pumpkin but had loads of sweets ready, we only got one brave visitor.

A local pub also has a poster saying 'No Trick or Treaters' so don't go there ;)
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

The high street event is from 4-5:30pm and costume judging is at 5pm outside the Sydenham Centre next to the post office. There will be trail maps of participating shops along the high street.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

We have put the posters up in the high street and there are details of the SEE3 web site - http://www.see3.co.uk/2013/10/3584/ including the trail map - http://www.see3.co.uk/wp-content/upload ... een_08.pdf.

Essentially parents to pick up the trail maps from 4pm at Sugahill, The Sydenham Centre and the Coop. Participating shops will have a poster of a pumpkin in the window. Children can then parade along the high street in their costumes and join us at The Sydenham Centre from 5pm to take part in the costume competition. We will start the competition at 5.15pm with the judging panel watching the children promenade across the stage in the three groups and will reach a decision on who they think has the best costume in each category.

There are three medals (thank you to Classic Trohpies) and prizes (thank you to the Co-op) for the best under 7, best over 7 and best home made costume. There will be an opportunity for photos in a decorated space inside The Sydenham Centre. Snappy Snaps are offering to take a portrait photo in their shop for £5.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

I don't know if it's not the done thing or not. This is our first year in the area so we have got some little bags of Harribo in just in case. If no one comes we'll just eat them ourselves :)
Susie1791

Post by Susie1791 »

Really fun evening trick or treating on the high street and so great to see so many little ones out in costumes and families taking part, really well organised and lots of shops taking part and very friendly towards the little ones, we had a great time, thank you! :-)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image