School advice - 2016 intake

Forum for families to exchange information on children's activities, schools and share the travails of parenthood
sarahsyd

School advice - 2016 intake

Post by sarahsyd »

My son will be starting in reception next September. We live on Wiverton Road, and as far as I can seem we are not in catchment for any local schools!
We are going to visit St Barts, Kelvin Grove, Alexandra Infants (as the junior site is our closest), Eliot Bank (even though we will never get in!), St John's and Harris Kent House. I have very mixed feelings about a couple of these schools, and would love to hear others' opinions. And have I missed any off the list?
Last question - has anyone ever got a place in a local school later in the year via the waiting list?

Thank you
Pally

Re: School advice - 2016 intake

Post by Pally »

I suggest that you also vista Alexandra Juniors if considering the Infants .....I know 3 years down the line but you are likely to be making a choice that ties you to both schools if only because your Child's friends will likely go to the Juniors.

I agree it is very unlikely you will get in to Eliot Bank and I suspect the same applies to Kelvin Grove. Eliot Bank is a superb school as I am sure you know. I can't comment directly on the Harris schools but have heard good things about the one at the end of Kent House Road. There is also the Harris School across the railway bridge from you on the main road and St Johns in Maple Road .....would they be possibilities? St Johns has a very good reputation.

Good luck in your search, and in finding a school you are happy with.
sarahsyd

Post by sarahsyd »

Thank you for your reply. Yes, we are considering St John's, but I hadn't looked at Harris Crystal Palace, so will do so.
As we aren't in catchment for any of these schools I am hoping that we might be lucky if one or other of them takes in an extra class.
Bromley's education department advised us to apply for schools in order of preference regardless of catchment as the situation changes each year. I am not very confident though!
Pally

Post by Pally »

Re Alexandra, the Infants has an excellent reputation . The Jnrs less so but had a new HT a couple of years ago and likely on the up.
KM

Post by KM »

There have been quite a few similar threads on this, so have a search on this forum for more info.
St Barts, and this is a lovely school (my kids are there) with my youngest having just started.
The open days will start soon, look around each, and go to the school Christmas fairs too, to get a good feel for the place. Check out the admissions criteria from Bromley and Lewisham councils.
sarahsyd

Post by sarahsyd »

Yes, we will be visiting all the schools I mentioned in my original post, plus others suggested by people here. We have already been to some school fêtes. Our main issue is that we are not in the catchment area for any of these schools, so I was wondering whether anyone had been successful in gaining a place at their preferred school later in the year via the waiting lists, as this seems to be our best hope, unless there is a bulge class.
Sydney83

Post by Sydney83 »

Hello, my child is also in St Barts and it really is a lovely school. I highly recommend you have a look at it...
I personally know two kids who have just started reception there and who live on your road so you can definitely get in. Of course every year is different depending on number of siblings etc..
Good luck with your search!
Pally

Post by Pally »

Another suggeston .....Haseltine Primary in Bell Green. It was a mess a few years ago , went into a Federation , got outstanding at its last Ofsted and gets great results every year now. Lovely school. Takes a long time to break the old very bad reputation so might not have a full in take ....well worth a look. Also, Adamsrill Primary went into a Federation with an outstanding school last year ....so also might be worth considering, but don't know much about that one.
Poppy2011

Post by Poppy2011 »

Just to say that Haseltine went from 3 form to 2 form entry this year and so the catchment has shrunk. I'm on Knighton Park Road and was outside the catchment for this year. As you say it does vary each year...
Pally

Post by Pally »

Poppy2011 wrote:Just to say that Haseltine went from 3 form to 2 form entry this year and so the catchment has shrunk. I'm on Knighton Park Road and was outside the catchment for this year. As you say it does vary each year...
That could certainly change things....!!