Primary schools/pre-schools in Sydenham

Forum for families to exchange information on children's activities, schools and share the travails of parenthood
tonyade

Primary schools/pre-schools in Sydenham

Post by tonyade »

Hello. Just about to start researching primary schools/pre-schools for our daughter (2 and a bit) *gulp*. We live in Silvderdale, so I'm not sure what catchment area we're in. Can anyone recommend any schools, within walking distance? I really haven't a clue where to start. (Obviously I start trawling through the Ofsted reports, but it would be good to get some first-hand knowledge.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
nomie44

Re: Primary schools/pre-schools in Sydenham

Post by nomie44 »

Hi there - I don't live in Sydenham anymore, but I have been through the application process there. We were a bit further down the high street and my child didn't get into any of our chosen schools - but luckily we moved away before he had to start school.

St Barts is very popular as is Eliot Bank (sp?) I really liked St Barts when we visited and St Michael's has a lovely atmosphere too. See if you can get hold of a copy of the admissions book from Lewisham, which lists how children got into the school (ie how many on attendance at church, how far away they lived, siblings etc etc etc).

Last year (admission Sept/Jan 2010) the differences were quite marked from the year before - ie, distance to school dropped to as little as 0.5km, very few admissions to faith schools to children whose parents don't go to church, presumably because people hadn't been able to move or afford private schools.

And remember you can are also within your rights to apply to schools outside of the borough.

Hopefully you'll get some replies from parents who already have children at your nearest schools.

Good luck!
tonyade

Post by tonyade »

You've been a great help. Thanks!
sydderslass

Post by sydderslass »

Eliot Bank is popular because its had two outstanding Ofsteds in a row. Fairlawn the same. However, these are subject to catchment area the same as any other, and VERY oversubscribed.

My tip - go on schoolsfinder (google it) and enter your postcode. You'll get a list of schools in order of distance from your house, and therefore the best place to start with school visits and such. have a look around places with an open mind and try not to listen to views of schools that are over a year old (the views, not the schools!)- schools change, for the better as well as the other. the site will list schools from other boroughs if thats applicable to your location - we're borderline Bromley/Lewisham so able to apply for both, but as Bromley residents its THEM with the obligation to find your child a school..

Dont get too panicky over it yet, you cant apply till the January of the academic year BEFORE your child is 5, however the viewings start in the September, and get booked up (esp for the popular schools). I'd concentrate on finding a good PRE-school for your child now, if you havent already...
and deal with the school stuff later...
Good luck! :)
summerbreeze

Post by summerbreeze »

As a parent of three teenagers raised now that have been to primary locally my judgement was made by just going around the schools in the morning watch the childrens reactions when the bell goes and they have to part with their parent and enter school. I based my choice on that, not ofsted or stats children can tell you far more than results by a couple of people visiting or stats which I will not give my view on.

But then it all depends what you want out of a school, I wanted a place where the children all looked happy to leave their parents to enter, I believe a happy child is one that will learn and flourish.

But of course this is just my opinion.