Activities suitable for disabled child

Forum for families to exchange information on children's activities, schools and share the travails of parenthood
Frangipan

Activities suitable for disabled child

Post by Frangipan »

Hi,

My boyfriend's 5 year old son is disabled and stays with us for the weekend a couple of times a month. Now that the warmer weather is here we are looking for new fun things to do with him. We often use the big red bucket swing in Crystal Palace Park, take him to Family Splash at Beckenham Spa as long as we can get there for the early session when it's not too packed and have been on the 'wheelchair bike' hire in Dulwich Park which is great fun for all of us! http://www.londonrecumbents.com/

Does anyone have any more ideas/experiences? He is physically and mentally disabled but loves anything sensory (noisy, flashing lights, textures etc) and the feeling of movement - especially the wind on his face and water splashing/bubbles. He can't stand or sit unaided but can sit with support.

Any ideas gratefully received. We can travel up to about 30 mins drive.

Thanks!
Dotkin

Re: Activities suitable for disabled child

Post by Dotkin »

Hi I noticed in Dulwich Park the other day that they have a new wheelchair swing in the children's playground - you can wheel the chair straight onto it!

What about the swiming pool at the Pavilion Leisure Centre in Bromley - they have waves and a waterjet that rains down on you while you're in the water - it is big enough to have lots of children but it never feels too packed to me.
Belle

Post by Belle »

Hi,
There's also the music room and aquarium at the Horniman Museum, Forest Hill.
Frangipan

Post by Frangipan »

Thank you, they're great ideas - I thought Horniman's was just instruments in glass cases, didn't realise you could play some too. And we were only wondering on Sunday where the nearest wave pool was. We'll certainly give these a go this summer.
Belle

Post by Belle »

They do have them in the glass cases, but there's also a room (through a door as you are in the room with the glass cases) where you can play them too.
rebeccawilde

Post by rebeccawilde »

There's a good sensory room in the Depford Park generation play club - it's clean and fairly new and free. If you google it you'll find it - I'm not sure if it's open weekends though. Try taking a look at the different Generation Playclubs, there might be some that have particularly good sensory rooms.

Gymboree in Bromley is good as well, they have good soft play although it might be a bit difficult for him - maybe call in advance just to check. That one is open Saturdays I believe.

Kelsey Park in Beckenham has quite a few different swing choices and there are different ones for various special needs. They also have one you can lay on.

Godstone Farm is (fairly) accessible although I think it might take closer to 45 minutes to drive there. There are lots of things to look at and some animals for kids to touch and there are changing facilities etc and enough shade for a picnic.

Bubble machines are great if you're in the garden or for taking to just a regular old park - they had a really effective one in Sainsbury's for about 5 pounds recently. There's also a sale on paddling pools and ball pools at the early learning centre for staying home
Frangipan

Post by Frangipan »

We've just got back from a fantastic swim/splash at Bromley Pavilion followed by brunch in Cafe Rouge, and he loved the 'rain' fountain and waves! We visited Kelsey Park yesterday afternoon as well which was a lot of fun. We will deffinitely go to both of these again.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Dotkin

Post by Dotkin »

I am so pleased you enjoyed it! My two love it there! :D