New playspace in Mayow Park

Forum for families to exchange information on children's activities, schools and share the travails of parenthood
Tim Lund

New playspace in Mayow Park

Post by Tim Lund »

Cllr Susan Wise wrote:On a very wet Thursday afternoon, myself, the chair of Friends of Mayow Park, Alona Sheridan, our excellent Safer Neighbourhood Team, officers from Lewisham and Glendale as well as pupils from Adamsrill School and more Friends of the Park helped me officially open the new PlayBuilder equipmentat Mayow Park Playscape.
This was funded from a grant of £70K from the previous government and some money from Lewisham's parks improvement budget. Alona and Hilary Jarrett invested time consulting with young users of the park and the Young Mayor of Lewisham's advisors on the equipment and layout for the area for 8-13year olds. The plan was drafted by Groundwork and brought to life by Glendale.
In a moment of no rain, Alona and I played table tennis on the new concrete table tennis table.
This new.area further adds to the improvements in our park and informed the Green Flag judges when they visited earlier this month., so please go visit!
Love Perry Vale - Mayow Park PlayBuilder Opening 16th June 2011

Pictures and captions from the FOMP blog

Councillor Susan Wise cuts the ribbon and everyone cheers

The zip wire and table tennis are very popular

Thomas from Groundwork displays the play space logo

The woodland walk

logo on other equipment

The work on the older children's playspace started at the end of March 2011 with earth digging equipment.

I (Tim Lund) don't have any more recent photos, but regularly cycling past this summer, I'm impressed by how well used all this equipment is, well cared for, and, imagining myself a grumpy old man, how few discarded fried chicken boxes left lying around.
Rachael

Re: New playspace in Mayow Park

Post by Rachael »

It looks great. It was well used the other weekend when we were in the park. However, my kids have refused to try the zip wire as it looks so low they are convinced they are going to hit the ground at the bottom of the dip. Anyone tried it out yet? (I was going to but my children forbade it. I am an eternal embarrassment to them, which is as it should be.)
michael

Post by michael »

Tim wrote:The work on the older children's playspace started at the end of March 2011 with earth digging equipment.
That's excellent. I can't wait to have a go on the bulldozer with my daughter. :lol:
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

No particular reason for bumping this now, but I'm pleased to see this is still getting used. I could have got a photo with more people in it than this

but maybe I should then have had to ask everyone in it if I could post images of them on line.

I also asked one of the Glendale staff about levels of vandalism / graffitti, and he confirmed my impression that this new equipment is being treated with respect.