Activities for Babies and Toddlers

Forum for families to exchange information on children's activities, schools and share the travails of parenthood
GillM

Activities for Babies and Toddlers

Post by GillM »

Hi all
I am about to start looking after my grandson for 3 days a week when his mum goes back to work. I was wondering if any of you mum's out there know of any baby/toddler groups on a Monday/Tuesday/Friday that I could take him to. He will be 1 year old this month, so something suitable for his age. Also do they still have one o'clock clubs in any of the parks in this area?
Thanks
Gill
Maria

Re: Activities for Babies and Toddlers

Post by Maria »

Hi Gill

I have PMd you

Maria
GillM

Post by GillM »

Thanks Maria!
Hasna

Post by Hasna »

Hi Maria,
Can you please send me this kind of information as well? My son just turned 1 year old. I'm looking for all suitable activities during the week. A part from activities at children's centres, do you know any good ones? Thank you.
Maria

Post by Maria »

Sure, will PM you too.

Which reminds me... some time ago some members (including me) suggested starting a new "Directory" specifally aimed at people like us - wld include activities for kids, information on childminders, exchange of used clothes, bartering of toys etc. At that stage Admin was overwhelmed with work (and perhaps there was not enough local support for something like this then)

But how about now? Would people welcome that idea? Parents and carers would, like myself, greatly benefit from it, I think.

Leave it up to others for now

Maria
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Hello!
Perhaps an alternative to a directory might just be another board that parents/ carers/ grandparents can update themselves..?
Given the cuts, things are changing all the time - a directory may be difficult to administer..?
But, it's a great idea, Maria
x
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Sydenham Green Health Centre (lower Sydenham) has a 1 o'clock club (free) Tues and Weds 1-2.30pm (I am 98% sure of the finish time) - free. Has water, sand pit, messy play, craft table, toys and books and you finish with songs or a story.

Sydenham Library has a song session on Tues mornings.

Kangley Bridge leisure centre has baby sing and swim sessions twice on Mon and Weds at noon and 12.30pm (cost is about £3.50). It is popular so arrive at least 30mins before. They also have a small soft play area next to their cafe which is free (better for baby - 3 yo).

And there is a lovely song session at Venner Road community hall in term time every other week (small donation as run by local mums and refreshments provided).

Friday morning there is a breast feeding cafe at Sydenham Green Health Centre, local mums can get advice and get a cup of tea (free), 10am til noon.
Mumcah

Post by Mumcah »

Hi Gill,
There is a One O'clock Club in crystal palace park,you need the entrance on crystal palace park road. I think it's open 9:30-12:30 and 1-4 on weekdays.

There is a playgroup in the church hall attached to the catholic church next to the library. This is a good one as it's spacious and they do tea and toast!it's £1 entry and open on Tuesday's and Fridays (term time) from 9:30-11:30.

Another one off the top of my head is in ST John's church in Penge (near Penge East) on Monday mornings.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
laura79

childminder recommendation?

Post by laura79 »

Hi there,

I was wondering if any one could recommend a good childminder in the Sydenham/Lawrie park area?
I am new to the area and need a childminder as from April for 2 days a week for my daughter who will be 9 months.
Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Laura
Kimmy1080

Post by Kimmy1080 »

Hi there

There is a lovely new music group on Thursday afternoons in Honor Oak Park (off Brockley Rise). It's at The Scout Hut on Herschell Road, behind St Saviour's church. It starts at 2pm and lasts for 45 minutes. There are lots of traditional action songs, new songs, great music tracks, puppets, parachute and loads of bubbles. You can just drop in at £3.50 and there is a mixture of babies and toddlers.

Enjoy!

Kimmy
amram

Post by amram »

Hi,
I have a 2 year old and a 3 month old and am very keen to get out of the house!! I would be grateful to hear of any baby and toddler groups which we could attend around Sydenham.

Hi Hannah, what day of the week does the song sessions in Venner road take place?

Thanks.
Mazzer

Post by Mazzer »

There's some great info on activities in the thread called: A Family Classified section in SF? so check that out. The Venner Road singing thing happens on Thursdays, I think at 10.15am. It was on last week, so wont be on this week. Just this morning I went along to the singing group in the community gardens in Mayow Park, 10.15am every Tuesday morning, it was really lovely! Yesterday 9.30 - 11am) I tried the playgroup at St John's Church on Penge High Street and that was really good too.

Marie
Rosie2011

Post by Rosie2011 »

Hi Laura - have you tried the local online classifieds for a childminder? I found my lovely childminder on tendea.co.uk - she's based in Dulwich which is ideal, sadly she's full at the moment but might be worth searching on there? good luck