A Family Classified section in SF?

Forum for families to exchange information on children's activities, schools and share the travails of parenthood

Do you want a Family section?

Yes AND I would post often
56%
Yes but I would NOT post often
25%
No
19%

Total votes: 32

Maria

A Family Classified section in SF?

Post by Maria »

I am re-opening the topic - now the holidays are over and so many people are again starting to ask about baby sitters, clothes, activities etc.

Since my last post about this I have visited the East Dulwich Forum and was rather impressed with the huge profile the topic has, and the number of people who initiate/respond to messages. It is worth

I don't think this is just a holiday issue when of course we are all at pains to ensure the kids are occupied and happy; it is ongoing and I feel that as a community we would gain immensely from having access to others's similar concerns and needs.

Maybe I am wrong, maybe in this area this is not a pressing need - if so that is fine of course, but does anybody else share my opinion? Maria
KM

Re: A Family Classified section in SF?

Post by KM »

I absolutely agree!
I've just answered another post about Childcare. Most people on this issue would automatically go to the EDF because it is so well used and clearly laid out, plus they know people in Sydenham /FH use the site (because there isn't another option). But if we had a Family section (whatever name) on here, word would spread and it would be used by more locals.
I want to advertise some children's things on here (snowsuit, sleeping bags), but I wouldn't put them on here because the Offers and Wanted section doesn't seem to be that well used.
Plus I'd love to find out more or share knowledge about local activities for kids and families, especially now the borough's cuts have impacted the Surestart activities so badly - share that community knowledge!
I see the same names over and over again post on the Cafe forum - lets have others on here on a Family forum!
KM

Post by KM »

Oohh...and just to note that the 4 top sections on the Cafe Forum this evening ALL regard children /family issues.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Oohh...and just to note that the 4 top sections on the Cafe Forum this evening ALL regard children /family issues
In that case, what's the point of a separate section? I am totally mystified by this campaign. On this basis, why not separate sections for politics (national), politics (local), planning issues, shops, restaurants, coffee shops, pubs, schools, buses, trains, football, popular music, religion, racism, allotments, parks, lost cats, found cats, dangerous dogs, Tim Lund....the list is endless.
Guachina

Post by Guachina »

That is a fantastic idea! As a mum of 2 living in Sydenham I think that a separate classified will help with the topics that I'm interested in.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In view of the above would not the logical decision to be replace Town Cafe with a family section? Non-family topics would be split between Town Hall/Pub.

The bottom line is to divide topics to make it easy to find those of interest (ie not too far from the top) with not dividing so much so that the posting rate in any sub-forum falls below a rate that does not attract interest.

I have added a poll to establish the number of people who would promise to post regulary.

Admin
Mazzer

Post by Mazzer »

Great idea! I've just moved into the area, I'm pregnant and already have a 1.5 year old, I would find a section with information tailored to my needs really useful. Will have a browse through this forum now because I'm keen to hear about nearby playgroups and other entertainment options, as well as pregnancy yoga classes etc.

Marie
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Admin - I like the idea of changing the Cafe to the Creche. The Cafe doesn't have as strongly defined role as either the Town Hall or the Pub and posts here could logically be accommodated in either. I am mostly past the need of family info and would be happy to have it in a separate section so I can avoid it as much as those who need it can find it.

Angela S

Post by Angela S »

Yes, I think it would be a good idea to consider replacing the Town Cafe with a family section. This would clearly be useful to many people and we would really appreciate it.
Angela
Micromel

Post by Micromel »

This would be great. I use EDF a lot for the family section - a specific section in SF would be fantastic.

hazy

Post by hazy »

i like the idea but where would issues around teenagers/young adults fit in? not sure that they would sit comfortably with the creche/bouncy castle contingent.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Hmm. Following on from the latest post at time of writing, If there were to be a "family" section, shouldn't that also include ageing parents or relatives? I don't have one in Lewisham though I'm sure some will of course and the quagmire of officialdom is daunting.

What is the definition of "family"?
Maria

Post by Maria »

I suppose if we use the term "family" in its widest sense then older children and parents/relatives would be included too. Although I suspect this discussion is now academic as there appears to be so little support for the idea. Don't quite understand it... so many families around here, such continuous enthusiasm on the EDF: why the difference here, I wonder. Oh well, it was worth a try.
poppy

Post by poppy »

Maria, I think a lot of the regulars on here do not have young families, just my impression. I would give it more time...

Does anyone know how many registered users there are now. Maybe the forum needs more marketing?
Maria

Post by Maria »

Yes, I totally agree with you Poppy. It pains me to see so many relevant messages spread all over the place re"family" topics - if only we could get it started I would hope that by word of mouth more people would a) write in the forum in general and b)many useful threads would spring up in one single area for everyone to see. ...And we wouldn't need tokeep reading dozens of messages from people moving into the area and asking what there is around here for their children (of all ages) to do, nannies, creches, etc

I don't even have "a young family"; what prompted me to initiate this was a thread on the EDF from a grandmother, like me, wanting to form a group of other like minded carers to exchange views, ideas, suggestions etc. Then I read another one from a mum fed up with always cooking the same thing everyweek, and another post suggested one of the best recipies for cheese pasta I have ever come across - I had not realised till then just how absolutely delicious macaroni cheese could BECOME.

Ultimately, it will be up to Admin how long the message remains - I am grateful that he/she is keeping it a the top of the list... thank you
mosy

Post by mosy »

I don't know what Admin thinks, but why not people who have voted "Yes" start posting on this thread as if it is a family forum?

Having got it as a sticky, might as well make use of it... Admin could then judge by input frequency if it was "taking off" or not.

"Family" overall would be good (as I said). The thing about small children is that they get older, lol, so schools, bullying possibly, exam stress - all sorts really and of course older family members.

One thing about forum members is that they shouldn't really give advice unless qualified to do so. Perhaps someone could start off a list of suitable organisations to contact for profession help also? Knowledge of activities or where to find them would be helpful I'm sure. Food is tricky as almost every child is different in his/her likes and dislikes and the days of "Get it eaten!" are long gone, but healthy eating for young ones has a place.

Hopefully Admin will say if they are not happy for this particular thread to take off, or if happy, go for it?
BingBong

Post by BingBong »

In the meantime, I find the Families SE magazine website is v. useful for local information: www.familiesse.co.uk
marianne

Post by marianne »

Hi Maria - I think this is a marvellous idea. I look after my grandson during the week and am always looking at the EDF Family Classified Section for advice about where to take him, toys/clothes/prams/buggies for sale/ local NCT Sales and there are always babysitters/nannies advertising. I just don't see why the suggested family thread would not take off here, once it was established. I am very grateful to you for raising the subject and hope the Admin eventually agrees.

Marianne :D
Maria

Post by Maria »

Mhmmm... feeling more hopeful now, thank you for your positive replies - and for the SE Magazine link, that is really, really useful

Last week I spoke to a mum at a local Sure Start Centre and she was most definitely keen; she said she never looks up information in our forum as she has not so far found it relevant for her needs; she added she would do so now and get her friends to do the same rather than continuously having to go to the EDF. I think we are right in suspecting that there is a clear need for these topics as well as a definite platform for such debates. It really is a question of starting slowly and people joining in by word of mouth.

What do you all think - what do you think Admin: how about if we remove the question mark in the title of this post and start directing everybody with related queries to its content? then, if successful, after a couple of months or so, perhaps a family related section could have a proper separate, distinct status (in Asylum or wherever) in our forum? Don't mean to sound pretentious but... would that not enrich the sense of community a forum means to enhance?
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

It would be helpful simply to have a regularly-updated list of baby and child-related activities that are available locally and when/where/how much they are. There's actually a huge amount available, but it often needs to be ferreted out.