An idea: under 5s soft play club

Forum for families to exchange information on children's activities, schools and share the travails of parenthood
Kimmy1080

An idea: under 5s soft play club

Post by Kimmy1080 »

Hi everyone

I wondered whether families in Sydenham or nearby would be interested in a new soft play space specifically for under 5s. I'm not sure what goes on in Sydenham as I live in Crofton Park but I am looking for a reasonably priced venue in the surrounding areas to see whether this could be possible.
The session would run for 90 minutes and include: bouncy castle, soft play mats with pieces to include: shapes, ball pool, soft play rockers, ride-ones, slides, space hoppers, pop up tunnels and other soft play bits to bash around and let off steam.
We will also have a crafts table lead by an instructor to guide parents and children though artistic creations. The crafts area, of course, would be dependent on space!
If there is enough demand, I would be keen to hear from anyone who knows of a place that would work well for such an idea. It would be lovely to have a kitchen space so that we are able to supply refreshments but this is not high priority.
I would be keen to put this into practice early in the new year :D
Thank you all!
Kim
Mazzer

Re: An idea: under 5s soft play club

Post by Mazzer »

Hi Kim, I think it's a great idea and would definitely be interesting in coming along! The spaces I know of in the area that people hire for toddler groups are: St Johns something-or-other church on Penge High Street, the Venner Road Community Centre, and the church hall next to Sydenham library which defo has a kitchen space.

Marie
Maria

Post by Maria »

That sounds like a fantastic idea!

Maria
Monkey&Mama

Post by Monkey&Mama »

I'd be interested in coming along as well!

Also - would you mind sharing any info you get on spaces with me? I'm looking to start a singing/music/signing class in the new year!

Thanks!
dorino

Post by dorino »

Yes, we'd be interested too! Please keep us posted
NatashaM

Post by NatashaM »

There is the Grove Centre and Grove Centre House on Jew's walk - which are available to hire. Also St Bart's church hall is used as a preschool in the mornings but I think is free in the afternoons.

There is 'Toddler's World' soft play every day 10-12 at Crystal Palace Sports Centre which isn't that far away. They charge £4 for two hours - it doesn't have the craft element though.
dorino

Post by dorino »

It would be great to have more things to do in Sydenham with small children, apart from the park. I find that I have to go to East Dulwich, Beckenham or Crystal Palace to go to any activities for my 3 year old. There are so many mums with little children in Sydenham that having something right on our doorstep would be fantastic, and would help us to get to know each other too, and increase a sense of community. So I would fully support anything that opened up for us all, and I'm positive I'm not alone!
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

sounds fantastic. i'm back to work full time but any days i have off work it would be great to have something to do with my 18 month old that's close to home.
michael

Post by michael »

NatashaM wrote:There is 'Toddler's World' soft play every day 10-12 at Crystal Palace Sports Centre which isn't that far away. They charge £4 for two hours - it doesn't have the craft element though.
Thanks for the suggestion Natasha. My daughter and wife went there yesterday and had a great time. And what it may lack in craft it makes up for by being close to the zoo and dinosaurs ('like George has' - Peppa Pig reference from my daughter).

Very easy to get to Crystal Palace on the train, as is 'Tea Dance for Little People' in Brockley.
Busy Bees happens every Wednesday and Friday at the Horniman Museum and is free, just a short walk from Forest Hill train station.

All three of these activities are well worth a visit and my daughter always enjoys a trip on the overground trains which I am told don't have orange poles to hold on to, but instead have big carrots. :P
NatashaM

Post by NatashaM »

Also on a Wednesday from 10-11.30 there's the Baby Gym (similar stuff to Toddler's World) at the Sydenham Hill Community Hall.

IIf you don't know where that is - it's on the opposite side to the Dulwich Wood House, in the estate but visible from the road - a bit further towards the Kirkdale end of Sydenham Hill.

It's run by Lewisham council, term time only and is just £1.
rebeccajwilde

Post by rebeccajwilde »

The other thing my son goes to is Adamsrill Toddler Group - you have to sign up for it but once you're enrolled, it's just a pound and Dot who runs it is excellent. It has a hut and an outdoor area in the infants playground of Adamsrill School

As for spaces - we used to have various dance lessons at Venner Road Hall (almost on the corner of Venner Rd and the High Street) and All Saints Church Hall (almost on the corner of Trewsbury Rd and the High Street)

What is the building in Mayow Park being used for these days? There was talk a while ago of it becoming something - perhaps there's space in there?
kmasters

Post by kmasters »

+ 1 vote from me!
KM

Post by KM »

How about Sydenham tennis club? Good size hall, kitchen facilities, opposite St Christopher's hospice
Kate

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image