Child friendly pub?

Forum for families to exchange information on children's activities, schools and share the travails of parenthood
ClaireyM

Re: Child friendly pub?

Post by ClaireyM »

I suspect the Dolphin was responding to complaints from people who have been showered with dust and grit when kids start throwing the gravel in the garden around! I see no problem with their notices - all it states is please don't let your children play unattended, don't let them run around as they may get hurt, don't let them throw the gravel as it may hit other people and there may be broken glass in it, and please remember that this is a pub, not a playground! All fair and sensible points, and not in any way child-unfriendly!
Last pub garden I went to recently, the poor manager was pulling his hair out as there were kids charging around the tables on scooters and another group of kids pouring vinegar on the flowers!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I quite agree Claire. Often bar staff are carrying hot meals about the pub and garden and little tyler could cause a nasty accident , which no doubt his parents will sue the pub for.

Children should sit or occasionally walk in Pubs. Not run.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

If I saw an adult running in a pub, or riding a scooter, or playing with a ball, I'd think it was dangerous behaviour. I'd also be amazed that anyone would think it was sensible behaviour. Only dogs should sit on the floor in the pub. This isn't about being anti-kid, it's pro-common sense.

I recently encountered a crawling baby in a small coffee shop.I couldn't get past the baby without stepping over it. Which I couldn't risk doing, because I was carrying a hot coffee. And there was always the chance I would lose my balance and end up kicking the mite in the head. The mother smiled at me as if to say, 'How adorable is my baby!'. When she finally realised I was waiting to get past, she just shooed the baby further along.

My kids are (young) teenagers now, but when they were little I often met up with other mums in cafes and coffee shops. We brought entertainment for the kids the ensured they stayed in their seats. If any child really couldn't sit still and started being a nuisance, the mother would apologise and take said child home. We never got handed a laminated sheet telling us what behaviour was expected because we already knew. But there were plenty of other parents even back then who could have done with instructions. And possibly the occasional time out.
Annie

Post by Annie »

rshdunlop wrote:If I saw an adult running in a pub, or riding a scooter, or playing with a ball, I'd think it was dangerous behaviour. I'd also be amazed that anyone would think it was sensible behaviour. Only dogs should sit on the floor in the pub. This isn't about being anti-kid, it's pro-common sense.

I recently encountered a crawling baby in a small coffee shop.I couldn't get past the baby without stepping over it. Which I couldn't risk doing, because I was carrying a hot coffee. And there was always the chance I would lose my balance and end up kicking the mite in the head. The mother smiled at me as if to say, 'How adorable is my baby!'. When she finally realised I was waiting to get past, she just shooed the baby further along.

My kids are (young) teenagers now, but when they were little I often met up with other mums in cafes and coffee shops. We brought entertainment for the kids the ensured they stayed in their seats. If any child really couldn't sit still and started being a nuisance, the mother would apologise and take said child home. We never got handed a laminated sheet telling us what behaviour was expected because we already knew. But there were plenty of other parents even back then who could have done with instructions. And possibly the occasional time out.

Mrs Dunlop--I agree with you--commom sense should prevail :)
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I am in 100% agreement.
Wonder if they would sue you if you did trip over their little darling.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Our son is 6months old. He can get cranky (he's teething which is why we look permanently tired) but I will never let him play unattended in a pub. People need to take more responsibility and install these sensibilities in their kids. I grew up in a hotel and had the free reign of the place, but aside from sticking a sanitary towel bag on the back of pedal tractor for a tool kit I got for Christmas which one old fuddy duddy found offensive (I didn't know it was for!) I never got in anyones way or caused a fuss.

I don't agree with banning babies or kids, but if Thomas was creating a nuisense, then I would leave that pub. It's not easy bringing up children and parents deserve the ability to grab a decent pub lunch and a bit of 'you time'. But you still have to consider others.
Annie

Post by Annie »

leenewham wrote:Our son is 6months old. He can get cranky (he's teething which is why we look permanently tired) but I will never let him play unattended in a pub. People need to take more responsibility and install these sensibilities in their kids. I grew up in a hotel and had the free reign of the place,
but aside from sticking a sanitary towel bag on the back of pedal tractor for a tool kit
I got for Christmas which one old fuddy duddy found offensive (I didn't know it was for!) I never got in anyones way or caused a fuss.

I don't agree with banning babies or kids, but if Thomas was creating a nuisense, then I would leave that pub. It's not easy bringing up children and parents deserve the ability to grab a decent pub lunch and a bit of 'you time'. But you still have to consider others.

Haha, that is so funny!
But you are right, I understand how parents would like to grab a pub lunch,there are pubs that cater for this with seperate areas for families,even the Moon & Stars in penge does this,

But to be honest, not sure its nice for the kids to see other people drinking, maybe getting a bit vocal (swearing) or do I just go to the wrong pubs?
maestro

Post by maestro »

On Good Friday I completed a six and a half hour drive down from Scotland, couldn't be bothered cooking that evening so picked a friend up to go out for a meal. We walked into a Sydenham restaurant but as soon as we opened the door we were greeted with the ear piercing racket from a baby having a screaming fit. I was tired, just wanted to have a quiet meal (which was why we picked that particular restaurant) and I couldn't have tolerated it so we turned and walked out, and ended up in the Moon and Stars in Penge. The combo starter and Scotch steak were excellent, and although the place was very busy at least the noise levels were bearable. It's not the sort of place I'd normally go to but the food and drinks are extremely good value.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes excellent pub except Friday nights. Real ale served very well.
Annie

Post by Annie »

I always go in there,
normally have the allday breakfast,always been good, their curry night is good as well,
but what I do like is the Buzz, there are families on the upper level enjoying a meal and drink and those who want to chill on the lower level,i like the alcove style that a lot of wetherspoon pubs have.
the service for the food and drink is excellent,
as long as it stays the way it is I will be going there for many years to come (God willing) :)
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Packed out last night. Could not get a seat for 10 mins or so. But after the youngsters have gone home to bed got calmer. Beer excellent.
maestro

Post by maestro »

I bumped into an old mate today, I said "What you up to these days?" He said "I prepare meals for the homeless, druggies, piss heads and down 'n' outs." I said "So you work in a charity drop in centre then?" He replied "No, I'm a chef in a Wetherspoon's pub!" :lol:
SE26bloke

Post by SE26bloke »

Ah, children. Aren't they adorable? Have just returned from a newly refurbished pub a couple of miles away. Changed tables (but did NOT make a fuss or complain) because the kids were getting too loud then walked in on 3 of the little darlings who'd just 'tagged' the gents and gave me a gobful of abuse while the mother (who'd obviously seen us move) confronfed my parents saying it was a public house and she was within her rights to bring her offspring there. If a guide dog started humping my leg in a pub I'd move - I wouldn't dispute the owner's right to be there but equally I wouldn't expect confrontation, I'd just move because I wanted to sit somewhere where I wouldn't be disturbed/annoyed.

Maybe THIS is why alcohol causes violence. A perfectly enjoyable afternoon ruined. I'm normally a totally stupid and mellow bloke after 5 pints but now I want to punch the stupid b***h of a mother in the face for insulting my parents and having such odious children. I wouldn't. I'd never hit a woman, no matter how obnoxious but this is what she and her brood have made me want to do.

Thanks child friendly pubs for making this possible.
Last edited by SE26bloke on 11 Apr 2012 17:00, edited 2 times in total.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

SE26 bLOKE
I agree 100%.
Well behaved and well supervised children are OK. The rest plus their parents should be banned.
Publicans should be more active to eject people who do not behave.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I have to say that it's a bit crazy people posting on the Town Kids part of this forum appear to be a little anti kids in some posts. I think the Dolphin's signs could be a bit more friendly as they appear a bit abrupt and slightly stuck up. Which is why we need another pub in Sydenham, in my opinion.

The Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) promote the well being of pubs and actually suggest pubs holding Mother and baby groups to increase custom. I think society has changed alot over the years and drinking habits have changed. It is now seen acceptable to take your children to the pub, which as Ben said is much more in tune with the rest of Europe. Family friendly pubs with good food are the only way the pub will survive in this day and age. But yes, parents should keep their children in touch.

G-Man

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
ClaireyM

Post by ClaireyM »

I have to say I'm surprised at the number of parents who let their kids play with the gravel in the Dolphin garden, considering the number of foxes in the area. It's probably deeply unhygienic :shock:
Maria

Post by Maria »

This thread has become a debate between the haves and the have nots and an almost exact replica of the convoluted arguments which took place when some of us were suggesting creating the Town Kids.

Members who do not have young kids and like a stress free & quiet time when visiting a pub understandably will not be keen on having them around; clearly for them the solution is to choose pubs who are not geared up to families.
Within this group, to those who have come across unacceptable situations, such as rshdunlop and SE26bloke, I say that I would feel absolutely the same way; in fact, I admire your composure: I would have kicked up a fuss with the parents who were clearly rude, selfish and inconsiderate.
I am however more puzzled about a few others who did back then want the new section in the Forum as (also understandably) that would mean they could avoid topics they were not interested in or had no time for; so why post now? Arguing about selfish adults, discussing local pubs in general, indicating which ones serve nice food...is outside the brief of Town Kids and simply not appropriate here. (And then there were those who did not want a Town kids at all: now, that, is beyond my wildest ability to comprehend – do they really hate kids and their carers that much?! But I digress).

Members who do have/look after children – we need your positive input, and we need to gain more support & profile in the community. Time and again, (still!), I talk to people who say they cannot be bothered with the Forum because, as they see it, it is packed of negative, provocative people. This is no longer so, I feel – for example in the last few days there have been some rather hilarious posts and other incredibly useful ones. I myself am here because of how much I have gained by joining it since I moved to Sydenham not that long ago.

So, and to finish off, if anyone knows about other child friendly pubs in and around the area as the first poster has asked all suggestions gratefully received.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree with Maria. This area was created to be a child-friendly section of STF.

Now everyone has their moments, some more than others, when kids are a real pain in the proverbial. And they should be able to say so. I think this is best done in Town Pub and not here.

Its Ok if there is some relevant debate in Town Kids to post a polite link to a more spirited debate in the Pub - but let's keep 'Kids' targetted at themselves and their carers.

The mods will move future posts that are out of character to Pub or elsewhere. If anyone has a problem with this please raise it in Town Asylum.

Admin
Columbus

Post by Columbus »

I went to the dolphin a couple of weeks ago at Sunday lunchtime with my 2.5 year old.

I found it still very child friendly regardless of the signs.

Haven't visited any other Sydenham pubs with her so can't add any other suggestions.
Mazzer

Post by Mazzer »

Gosh, I didn’t realise what I was starting when I posted my question, sorry if I offended anybody by putting down the dolphin, I will leave you in peace and be mindful not to take my kids there in future!! So thanks, SE26bloke – I’ll try The Bridge House, and Bazman76 – thanks for the reminder about The Dulwich Wood House, I went there once before moving to Sydenham and had a great time, an excellent place to take the kids along to, will go back now that it’s more local to me.

Annie, just to clarify, the ‘rocks and balls’ were in the garden, I agree – rocks and balls have no place being played with inside a pub!

Marie