Child friendly pub?

Forum for families to exchange information on children's activities, schools and share the travails of parenthood
Maria

Re: Child friendly pub?

Post by Maria »

Thanks Bazman - have never been to that pub but will support it from now on. It sounds (and looks) great.

Not only do they seem pretty much like a creche in there on weekends, as you state, but I read on their website that they hold chidren focused events every monday.

They have clearly thought that by promoting greater inclusion with their community they can highly increase their profit margins as well. Highly intelligent (where does "posh" come into any of this, I wonder?)

Many thanks again
Bazman76

Post by Bazman76 »

I'm not on commish or anything but its a nice pub and I'm happy to promote it.

Glad you like it, the more the merrier as they say.
benchef

Post by benchef »

Nice one Bazman! Annie are you deliberately trying to be rude and un-helpfull? I thought trolling was so out of fashion this season?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Hold on , where has Annie been rude. Sounds very unlike her.
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

It's a shame to hear The Dolphin has become so unwelcoming. I was on maternity leave when it first opened and at the time they were fairly clued up about cultivating customers who visit with children during slow periods and without them during peak ones.
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

God almighty - if the pubs in Sydenham are to become more and more child focused so that kids playing with rocks on the floor and throwing balls around is considered absolutely acceptable then I am far less likely to go into them. Roll on creche city - fill yer boots!
Last edited by Voyageur on 8 Apr 2012 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
Annie

Post by Annie »

benchef wrote:Nice one Bazman! Annie are you deliberately trying to be rude and un-helpfull? I thought trolling was so out of fashion this season?

where in my post am I being rude? because I said its Posh? nothing wrong with being posh-its just not the sort of place I personally could relax in or afford.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Eagle wrote:Hold on , where has Annie been rude. Sounds very unlike her.

Thank you Eagle :D
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Annie wrote:

Not likely,
Annie just wants a quite drink and to park her car not too far from her house!
But not necessarily in that order.. :wink:
Annie

Post by Annie »

benchef wrote:Nice one Bazman! Annie are you deliberately trying to be rude and un-helpfull? I thought trolling was so out of fashion this season?

Funny, you have only posted 3 times yet you indicate that I might be a troll! haha, I have posted over the last 6 yrs I believe, thats got to be the longest trolling session in history,you smack of being one though.but hey ho waste your time if you wish--face bovvered! :D
benchef

Post by benchef »

I was just annoyed at you being so unnecessarily unhelpful on a kids and family blog.

Annie

Post by Annie »

benchef wrote:I was just annoyed at you being so unnecessarily unhelpful on a kids and family blog.

No need to be rude though, sorry will be accepted. 8)

I am not trying to be unnecessarily unhelpful,
but as I get older I want peace and quiet when I visit a pub,
I cannot afford to go out often, but when I do I want to relax, not have other peoples children under my feet.(i'm sure they are lovely-but they are yours not mine)
Also, I personally do not think it's a good environment for Children.
When my children were young,we used to meet up in each others houses for coffee,why can't you do that?
Do you drink alcohol whilst in the pub?
Annie

Post by Annie »

14BradfordRoad wrote:
Annie wrote:

Not likely,
Annie just wants a quite drink and to park her car not too far from her house!
But not necessarily in that order.. :wink:

HeeHee,
you know me sooo well!
Never Drink and Drive :wink:
benchef

Post by benchef »

After 6 o clock I agree, but during the day on weekdays when most people are at work and a large group of mothers and fathers want to meet up I don't see it as an issue as the Dolphin is almost deserted. I don't see a "gastro" pub being a bad place to have a group of children and parents. There are few other options within walking distance of Sydenham town centre, and my kids don't like Wimpy ;-)

Annie

Post by Annie »

benchef wrote:After 6 o clock I agree, but during the day on weekdays when most people are at work and a large group of mothers and fathers want to meet up I don't see it as an issue as the Dolphin is almost deserted. I don't see a "gastro" pub being a bad place to have a group of children and parents. There are few other options within walking distance of Sydenham town centre, and my kids don't like Wimpy ;-)

Not trying to be pedantic, but i am one of the people able to visit the pub during most days if I wanted to/could afford to.
Having said that,I'm also surprised if you drink alcohol while you all have children there,a large group you say?
or maybe its the food alone that draws you all there?
Maybe you could all take turn in cooking and hosting a family meal type gathering?
Just trying to be helpful-honest :D
benchef

Post by benchef »

Or we could come round your house while you're down the pub? ;-)

Maria

Post by Maria »

BenChef: welcome to the Forum, we could do with a lot more dads in here!

A quick word from someone who has been here for a while, if I may: sometimes arguments run for argument sake and there is no clarity on what kind of need or reason they fulfil. I think you will find many examples in the other areas of the Forum: take a look, they are everywhere!

This may well be one of them. We may just have to agree that if, say, the new pub in Sydenham is child and family friendly, then there are 3 or 4 members of this forum who will not visit it. Fine, so be it. End of... as they say...

Welcome again
Annie

Post by Annie »

benchef wrote:Or we could come round your house while you're down the pub? ;-)

Hey! theres an idea! :D
I dont do cooking any more though!
might have to be a takaway Mc Ds
and bring your own booze!
Annie

Post by Annie »

Maria wrote:BenChef: welcome to the Forum, we could do with a lot more dads in here!

A quick word from someone who has been here for a while, if I may: sometimes arguments run for argument sake and there is no clarity on what kind of need or reason they fulfil. I think you will find many examples in the other areas of the Forum: take a look, they are everywhere!

This may well be one of them. We may just have to agree that if, say, the new pub in Sydenham is child and family friendly, then there are 3 or 4 members of this forum who will not visit it. Fine, so be it. End of... as they say...

Welcome again
Excuse me----I was enjoying my chat with Ben!
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

I would imagine that the Dolphin brought in the laminated requests re behaviour following complaints from other punters.

Now that more and more parents bring their kids into pubs I don't think that a polite reminder re acceptable behaviour is such a bad thing, especially as running around unsupervised or mucking around on the floor could result in injury for a tot, which presumably some parents might hold the pub liable for :( I won't mention the pub but a while back a publican told me about a child who had been running about unsupervised and kept playing immediately in front of the door the bar staff kept rushing in and out of. Evidently the publican in question gently led the child back to its parents and asked them politely to prevent it from running about and was met with a very cool reception from those parents :(