Child friendly pub?

Forum for families to exchange information on children's activities, schools and share the travails of parenthood
Annie

Re: Child friendly pub?

Post by Annie »

Mazzer wrote:Gosh, I didn’t realise what I was starting when I posted my question, sorry if I offended anybody by putting down the dolphin, I will leave you in peace and be mindful not to take my kids there in future!! So thanks, SE26bloke – I’ll try The Bridge House, and Bazman76 – thanks for the reminder about The Dulwich Wood House, I went there once before moving to Sydenham and had a great time, an excellent place to take the kids along to, will go back now that it’s more local to me.

Annie, just to clarify, the ‘rocks and balls’ were in the garden, I agree – rocks and balls have no place being played with inside a pub!

Marie

Sorry Marie, I assumed you ment in the pub!
one should never assume a?!

I wish you well with your search. :D
benchef

Post by benchef »

I popped in to the new Antic pub the Sylvan post on the way home from work on Friday and it seems like an incredibly child friendly place. Friendly staff also.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Micromel

Post by Micromel »

I've regularly taken my kids to the bridge house in Penge, which has always been fine. It has usually been after a session at the 1 o'clock club or the playground in CP park so they are happy to sit pretty still. The pub doesn't have any kids toys but sitting under the veranda is pretty relaxing so the kids can stretch their legs a little bit. The most child friendly pub I've been to is the Honour Oak (at the forest hill end) they have some kid's toys, books and a tv and kids dvd's. They also do lots of children's activities in the week. I'm sure my Nan turns in her grave every time I take my kids in to a pub, but since the smoking ban most pubs welcome kids and i like to go there for the space (pushchairs in small cafes stress me out) and the food. The bridge house in Penge has a yummy mummy club where you get 10% off the bill, so they are positively encouraging mummies!

benchef

Post by benchef »

Thanks Micromel. That's more like it!

Mazzer

Post by Mazzer »

Brilliant, thanks Mel, I'm definitely going to give The Honour Oak a try. I've also found out that The Paxton also has a reward card for 'mummys', and a play area in the garden and The Florence has an entire playroom for kids!

Marie
yummymummy

Post by yummymummy »

I am a fan of the Dulwich Woodhouse, But I also found the Herne Tavern yesterday (which has a climbing frame/play area in the garden).
michael

Post by michael »

All Inn One / Foresters in Forest Hill is child friendly and has a nice little garden including some play equipment http://www.allinnone.org.uk/garden.php
Question Bar in Dartmouth Road is another child friendly pub with childrens' menu, but it doesn't have a playground.
Good to hear Eagle won't be disturbing us in these fine establishments.
s cheeseman

Post by s cheeseman »

I have found the Dolphin extremely friendly when I have taken my baby there to meet with other mums and babies. They even offered to reserve an area for us and regularly 'chat' with our babies. As our babies are all growing and want to crawl around we do realise that the Dolphin is no longer a suitable place to meet and we have since found an alternative - The Bridge leisure centre on Kangley bridge road has a soft play area it is not too busy and they charge just £1.80.

I do believe that it is a give and take situation. Admittedly I did pop in to the Dolphin at the weekend without my baby and sat well away from the children that were in there.

PS - And just for the record no we don't drink alcohol whilst caring for our children

Active member of Mumsnet :D
Loobus

Post by Loobus »

I just wanted to say though that, as parents, we are well within our rights to have alcohol if we wish. Obviously, responsible drinking is essential, but it is possible to have a spritzer or half a lager and still be able to parent your child/ren.

Julsb

Post by Julsb »

I am a little bemused by the suggestion that parents should NEVER have a glass of wine whilst looking after children. I know a few people who are plastered after a single glass of wine, but they're so sensitive I'm not sure a spritzer would help.

A cheeseman, if you're a MN regular you'll know that wine is VERY highly regarded there. Especially on Friday evenings. Myself, I'm a fan of The Three Martini Playdate http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Three-Marti ... 0811840549. :D