swimming lessons for toddlers in the area?

Forum for families to exchange information on children's activities, schools and share the travails of parenthood
Mazzer

swimming lessons for toddlers in the area?

Post by Mazzer »

I'm looking for a class for my two-year old. Saw on a thread in another part of this forum that there's a swimming pool near Sainsburys, do they do lessons there? Is it a good pool (I'm not that fussy mind you, by good I suppose I just mean cleanish and inexpensive)?

How about LA Fitness, do they do kids classes?

I know there's some good classes at Crystal Palace pool and at Beckehham Spa but those are quite expensive and I'd love to go somewhere I can walk to quite easily.

Thanks!
Micromel

Re: swimming lessons for toddlers in the area?

Post by Micromel »

They do kids swimming classes at the centre near Sainsbury's (The Bridge) but I've never managed to go. I did try once but the pool had overheated ( a common occcurance apparently) so we went home again. I have since taken my kids to lessons in Crystal Palace and now that the changing room has been refurbished it is excellent. I think for lessons you will be hard pushed to find cheaper classes than CP but do let us know how you get on.
I can't wait for forest hill leisure centre to open - hopefully they will have classes for kids too.
Mel

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
gillsandfins

Post by gillsandfins »

yes the bridge does lessons and yes the pool is regularly broken with freezing water or shut. There is a private swimming school at st dunstans school on a sunday which has a lot of teachers from the bridge teaching including parent and baby and pre-school classes. Www.swimsunday.co.uk

KM

Post by KM »

I take my toddler to CP every week and I think the teaching is great. The changing rooms are good and there is a huge selection of lessons throughout the week, which I didnT find to be the case at The Bridge. Also, I found the information on the website good; ie I could browse through the classes, see where there was availability and book online. I think my direct debit is about £14 per month. You will probably find spaces become available from next week as the courses end next week.

s cheeseman

Post by s cheeseman »

I take my daughter to Beckenham Spa, it is really good and just £25 per month
Dotkin

Post by Dotkin »

There is a toddler drop in lesson at the (Sydenham) Bridge on a friday - the teachers there are very good although it is always worth phoning before you go as they do have a few problems with the water temperature there - a shame because the quality of the lessons they offer is great.

The Pavilion leisure centre in bromley has a good drop-in toddlers only session on a friday too with free play where the instructor goes round and helps you with any questions you may have about teaching your child to swim etc as well as a more structured part of the session.

I think it's more about water confidence and fun for toddlers though and these two I think are good for that as you don't have to commit to weekly sessions.
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

Over the years, I've taken my children to The Bridge, Crystal Palace and Beckenham Spa. The Bridge has good swimming teachers but the other staff and facilities are less than stellar. (The "pool shutting" business has been a problem for over two years now, and is why I stopped going.)

Crystal Palace is very nice but can be a bit of a faff to get to unless you want to drive.

Beckenham Spa is a pain to get into (the queuing system for new swimming joiners can be ridiculous), but once you're there the teaching and facilities are great.