Looking for Nannies or childcare tips in Sydenham

Forum for families to exchange information on children's activities, schools and share the travails of parenthood
Willrenn

Looking for Nannies or childcare tips in Sydenham

Post by Willrenn »

Hello.
My wife and I have a little boy coming along and we are going to either find him an aupair, nanny or nursery in January when he is 6 months old, as my Wife shall be returning to work. My wife works three days a week (Monday, Wednesday and Thursday) and I am a teacher. We are loathe to pay for childcare at a nursery for 51 weeks a year, especially when I won't be at work. We thought about an aupair, who'd only have to work 3 days a week but our flat is smallish so it may feel a bit cramped. So that brings us onto Nanny ideas.
Does anyone have any advice or tips you might be able to offer?

P.s. We will not be eligible for childcare vouchers unless the carer is registered with Ofsted.

Thank you so much.
Will.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
KM

Re: Looking for Nannies or childcare tips in Sydenham

Post by KM »

Hi Will
You're right to start planning this now, as good childcare providers have long waiting lists!
Here are my tips having searched for local childcare over the past few years, I hope I don't go on....;
- Nannies - good threads on the East Dulwich Forum about nannies, whether how to pay them, benefits accrued, interviewing questions and also nannies advertising themselves or families like yourselves, searching for nannies. Just search under nanny and I'm sure you'll find them; http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/list.php?29.
- Nanny shares; it might be worth finding a nice family to share this with to reduce the huge costs if this is your preferred option.
- I believe many childminders and I would imagine nannies, can only care for one child under one year of age.
- Some childminders/nannies do term time only.
- I've used the http://www.childcare.co.uk website, where you can search for childcare nearest your postcode, as I found the Family Information Service at Lewisham unhelpful - useless actually as the info is out of date.
- Once you find a childminder or and nanny, they may not know if they will have space for you unless a child is moving or starting school; generally parents only have to give a month's notice. This is frustrating! However nurseries seem to know or have an idea at least as they have more children moving from the baby room to the toddlers' room.
- Get out to as many Surestart activities as possible - many childminders use these as well as parents, and you may start recognising childminders' faces and names from the sign-in lists. Then you know who to avoid when you start making the calls...!
- Ask as many parents as possible who they would recommend - post again on here and ask people to PM you.
- Get out to parent/baby activities ie NCT coffee mornings, as you'll meet new parents and they might be able to swap childcare with you ie they have your son on your working day, you reciprocate.
Good luck!