Cafe's

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Sydenhameagle123

Cafe's

Post by Sydenhameagle123 »

Just moving into the area need a decent cafe near the alfred

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
chrism

Re: Cafe's

Post by chrism »

I gather the owner of Cafe Gold was interested in attracting a wider mix of people, or so I heard about a year ago. In East London his place would be considered 'retro'....

Has anyone ever approached them with some thoughts on how to jazz up the place? If he is indeed keen on getting more people through the door, maybe he'd be receptive to ideas from the local community.

Rather than wait for new businesses to move in (only to have another hair salon open up), perhaps we should also get in touch with local businesses and see if there's a way to boost their trade, which of course is what Lee is already trying to do.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Why do people here want cafes?

Having a drink is probably not the answer as most of us live or work close by and can have better drink faster and cheaper. I only use local cafes for meetings on neutral ground. That's not very profitable for the owner as we stay a long time and only have a couple of drinks and no food.

How many here use cafes for other purposes? The answers may be of help to those offering cafe facilities in Sydenham.

Stuart
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

If there was somewhere on the High St doing properly good coffee and food I would use it at least a couple of times a week. Nothing better following a long bike ride than a strong coffee and some cake.

I imagine for a lot of others it would serve as a nice meeting place that isn't a pub.

paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

Hairybudda, are you not spoiled for choice these days? Kente, Blue Mountain and Suga Hill?

I rate Suga Hill best of all but unfortunate location. Kente's coffee's not perfect and Blue Mountain is pricey though thee offerings and service have improved enormously over the last year or so.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Hi Paul - There are certainly plenty of cafés. But I don't rate the coffee in any of them.

sarahsyd

Post by sarahsyd »

The Blue Mountain does great cakes and hot chocolate, and lovely soups for lunch.
Not on the High Street, but the cafe at Alexandra Nurseries on Parish Lane is lovely. Lots of cakes and a lovely setting.

michael

Re: Cafes

Post by michael »

Can I suggest that the apostrophe is removed from the title of this thread.

There was another thread similar to this recently, see http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... age#p80329

I've also heard that Aga's Little Deli in Forest Hill is planning to open a new cafe in Kirkdale where the pop-up shop used to be, so people in Kirkdale will not need to travel so far for their wonderful toasted cheese sandwiches.
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

You're right, hairybuddha. But they're all better than nasty Starbucks stuff. Might there be a Costa coming to Cobbs Corner? 'Twas certainly rumoured at one point. That would likely up the coffee standard at least.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Hope so.
Every Cafe should have fast Wifi.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

My order of cafés
1 Sugahill - coffee and food excellent
2 blue mountain - coffee excellent but food unreliable
3 kente - coffee and food ok but not excellent

But I wouldn't like to forget the excellent Sema's - totally reliable , brilliant service and no -nonsense fry-ups .
I would hate not having them as part of our high street .
A very evening
Nigel

michael

Post by michael »

Aga's cafe opening on Sunday.
Hello! Shop will be closed tomorrow due of opening our Cafe in Kirkdale!!!! You all so welcome, we going to open a door from 12 pm till 8pm. 161 Kirkdale Road!!! We coming back on Tuesday 10 til 5.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Michael
That could be a very welcome addition.
I've been to Aga's in FH and it was very good .
Certainly higher end but I think there is room for more of that in Sydenham too
A very good afternoon
Nigel

Sydenhameagle123

Last edited by Sydenhameagle123 on 28 Nov 2013 00:17, edited 1 time in total.
Sydenhameagle123

I personally think the young guy in cafe gold has done a brilliant job always packed when were in there lovely and polite i understand that the decor is a bit old but that is because the landlord wont give him a lease if he did he would be able to borrow money and renew the place which that is what he wants to do but without a lease he cant compete and believe in me i been to the other cafes that boy has had and the best cafes your saying have got no chance against him good luck to you on ur jazzing up decisions lol i think east london is where you should be mate were in sydenham now.

marymck

Post by marymck »

Where is cafe gold please.?

Sydenhameagle123

marymck wrote:Where is cafe gold please.?

Opposite the hexagon its a good cafe everyone has got there selves stuck with sema and chefs try it u wont be dissapointed

marymck

Post by marymck »

It's a tad off my usual route, but I definitely will. I need to switch off my autopilot more. Thank you.

Sydenhameagle123

marymck wrote:It's a tad off my usual route, but I definitely will. I need to switch off my autopilot more. Thank you.

try his freshly ground coffee its the best