Gymophobia on Station Approach

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Suzee

Gymophobia on Station Approach

Post by Suzee »

Just noticed signs in one of the disused premises on Sydenham Station Approach for something called Gymophobics. Looks like it's a ladies only concept gym:
http://www.gymophobics.co.uk/
i.e. a gym with 30minute sessions for old biddies.. sorry but look at the website!!
There goes our coffee shop :(
user100

Post by user100 »

Oh please don't whinge! Where does it say anything about old biddies?

And in any case what difference does it make if it is full of old biddies? Or would that upset your sense of aesthetics?

Great to see plans for a new gym in Sydenham, with a successful company behind it, much better than having a premises lying empty.

Presumably they've done their sums and feel they can pay the rent and make a go of it - and best of luck to them.
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

Sorry but that is the first thing that comes to mind when you look at the website: it is for ladies only (all the photos are of over 50s) and talks about not being for young fit people. Just made me laugh....
Anyway, is this what we want? A coffee shop would be more for everyone. They do look successful though - lots of centres around the country.
user100

Post by user100 »

Sorry, didn't mean to be quite so rude in my reply - must be getting touchy in me old age :oops:

Hope Sydenham gets this famous coffee shop we all want as well - you gotta fight -- for your right --- to frothy coffee :-)
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

A women only gym? Doesn't that break every rule in the sex discrimination book?!
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Suzee - No doubt you are a beautiful super-fit athlete but I'm unclear why it should make you laugh that women over 50 might want to take exercise. Or that we should try to encourage sections of the population who are reluctant to take exercise, to do so.

I speak as a beautiful over-50s male who exercises or plays sport daily and I've have spent my life trying to encourage others to do the same by acting as an administrator for various sports clubs . It doesn't matter whether people do it at age 2 or age 82, in private or in a gym like LA Fitness or Gymophobia - what matters is that they give it a go at their own pace and don't lapse.

As it is we have an attractive new business, a new pavement in Sydenham Approach and a newly painted building behind. Good luck to them!

I am certain (and I mean certain) that a new coffee shop will open in this vicinity very soon.
user100

Post by user100 »

Nasaroc,

Do you know something we don\'t know?

GO ON! Spill the (coffee) beans :-)
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

sorry - more than coffee beans would be spilt
Polly

Post by Polly »

Has anyone been to one of their introductory sessions? I'd be interested to know what it's like.
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

I'd like to but being a bloke I'm not allowed. Strange that.
sophie

Post by sophie »

I haven't looked at the website and I haven't tried a session. However I know a couple of women who have joined up and really like it.
Nickerbockers

Re: Gymophobia on Station Approach

Post by Nickerbockers »

Suzee wrote:Just noticed signs in one of the disused premises on Sydenham Station Approach for something called Gymophobics. Looks like it's a ladies only concept gym:
http://www.gymophobics.co.uk/
i.e. a gym with 30minute sessions for old biddies.. sorry but look at the website!!
There goes our coffee shop :(
God, how insensitive is that comment?? Praps there's some people with injuries or have been ill and just returning to exercise that will find it easier than a normal gym.

If you're so young and fit, I'm sure you can manage the extra walk up the hill to LA Fitness!
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Well, I'm 35 and go to Gymnophobics 3 times a week!

Joining a gym was always on my list of things to do when the children started school and didn't fancy LA fitness. I've made loads of friends and the staff are friendly and understanding. There's no pressure - you can take it as seriously as you like. There's even a beauty room, now - I wouldn't feel comfortable about going to the salons in Sydenham Road.

I think some people were upset because the premises was earmarked for a coffee shop, hence the reaction.
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Well I'm 33 and I'm going to go and have a look at this gym this weekend. There's loads of places to drink in Sydenham, and a new cafe at the top of Sydenham Road, I think this new concept gym is a much better idea...
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

No need to get you nickers in a twist nickerbocker :wink: - if you read carefully you'll see mine was a tongue in cheek comment made back in April when there was very little to get excited in Sydenham about except for the new Dolphin and rumours of a coffee shop opening. I assume you weren't around then? The website was definitely aimed at 'older' ladies and not for so-called younger or fit people... just didn't think we needed it at that point in time.
I'm glad it is so popular and women are enjoying it. Hopefully it keeps LA Fitness a little bit quieter - incidentally LA Fitness has massively improved lately with a great new stretch/weights area. If you're looking for a more traditional gym with classes and a pool then it's probably better than the Gymphobia organised sessions on machines.
By the way - wouldn't really say there are 'loads' of places to drink in Sydenham just yet but it's on its' way.
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Actually I rang Gymophobia really keen to see if I could join, and then I found out their joining fee... What is a joining fee anyway, coz it would seem they're charging over £100 (with a 'special offer' at the moment that's still not cheap) for them praps giving a quick tour and handing out some leaflets! And though the website proudly says membership maximum £28 per month, I was told on the phone it's £29 per month - just a pound's difference, but it's still wrong on the website.

I won't be joining after all, praps the coffee place would've been better - :oops: :wink:
fh_1

No to Gymophobics in Sydenham

Post by fh_1 »

<Removed by Admin>