Peurto Mexico!

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
simon

Peurto Mexico!

Post by simon »

So we are to have a Mexican restaraunt... arriba!!
I didn't ever get round to going to the Turkish one, but a friend told me it wasn't very good. Apparently a Turkish restaraunt in Beckenham underwent a similar conversion, overnight all the Turkish staff became Mexicans!
Also, I see that the Man of Kent is to become flats with a small retail outlet at the front. While I didn't like the pub, its a shame to lose one from the highstreet.
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Where is the new Mexican restaurant? I agree about the Man of Kent - shame to lose any pub.
kster

Post by kster »

It is down by Lidl, (opposite side of the road to the Dolphin and a little down the hill)

Does anyone know when it is due to open? I had a look in the window today and I don’t think it’ll be too long. From the signage it looks like Mexican Tapas and cocktails, certainly something new for Sydenham.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

So its not on the site of the old Turkish one then? Where the Belly Dancers were?
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Can you be a bit more precise - I'm curious but too lazy to go out right now! It's not the old Fat Boys Cafe is it - or Grenadiers - the former militaria shop? Or the Turkish restaurant re-branding itself (which would be a great pity after its accolade in Time Out!) Sounds like we're getting a restaurant quarter.
kster

Post by kster »

The Belly Dancing Turkish place (Lokal) is now a chippy. It was the other Turkish place, I think it was called Fez.

It is further downhill than both Grenadiers and Fat Boys (which is still empty), just past the florist – pretty much opposite the old man of kent pub. It is quite a big site so it could get lively. Just have to wait and see if the food is any good.
user100

Post by user100 »

Bummer! So can someone confirm that i understand this correctly - The Fez turkish restaurant at the corner of trewsbury road is to change to a mexican restuarant?

That's a shame as the turkish place had good food - and it is a fine premises, with nice proprietors.

Hope the next lot make a go of it.
simon

Post by simon »

Yes, its on the old Criterion Ices site.
randomv

Post by randomv »

It's a shame - I really liked the Fes. That's the one thing I do miss about living north of the river - a zillion turkish restaurants to choose from.
The sign on the window says Under New Management.

Anyone know when the Mexican will be opening?
user100

Post by user100 »

one little suggestion if the owners are reading this:

Please put up a sign more in keeping with the rest of the building.

The refurb of this restaurant made a great job of it, but the plastic and neon sign let it down.

Hope the new owners can put up something a bit more tasteful to correct this.
pip

new mexican restaurant

Post by pip »

That signage, so tacky. Hardly likely to appeal to the young professional middle classes living in Sydenham. Although could be fun, being served
refried doner kebabs by marraca waving turks in sombreros. It will be the only restaurant on the high street where a worm in your drink is acceptable.
I for one cant wait.
parklife

Post by parklife »

I agree about the sign , but is it Tacky or Taco ????
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Re: new mexican restaurant

Post by nork1 »

pip wrote:That signage, so tacky. Hardly likely to appeal to the young professional middle classes living in Sydenham.
Maybe a slightly more subtle sign and an armed bouncer on the premises with orders to shoot on sight anyone called Wayne or Tracey who looks like they don't work as a consultant, earn over 50 grand or eat tofu?
Dotkin

Post by Dotkin »

I hope this new place takes into account the huge amount of mums in the area who would love to have some choice for lunchtime meeting venues in Sydenham - if the owners are reading this please make sure to install child changing facilities and you'll be quids in!! Also aren't mexican restaurants all a bit tacky / kitch in their decoration? I don't care I welcome it!
user100

Post by user100 »

Has it opened yet? If not, any idea when it will open?
JAKES ANGEL

Post by JAKES ANGEL »

I spoke to someone working on the refurbishment last week and they confirmed the opening night was scheduled for 25/05/2007.
user100

Post by user100 »

Cheers!

If anyone checks it out, can you let us know what you think please?