Npower

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Annie.

Npower

Post by Annie. »

I see Npower is to get rid of jobs here and give them to India, npower were my providers - not any more!

This is the kind of thing unions and governments should stand up against.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
leenewham

Re: Npower

Post by leenewham »

I hate Npower.

Twice they transferred me to them without my permission. It took 6 months to get rid of them. An awful, hateful company.

They are one of, if not the worst for customer satisfaction. I recommend Ecotricity Annie, I'm very impressed with them. Brilliant customer service too. Plus it's British.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I once (stupidly) decided to switch to NPower. They started taking the direct debit from my account with no notice or confirmation that they had taken over my supply. When I investigated, my current supplier was still supplying me and NPower had started supplying my neighbour by mistake.

It took six months (at least) to get my money back. They kept saying the cheque was in the post - seriously.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Thank you for your suggestion Lee, I will have a look at them.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Annie we are in agreement again. Do not use N Power but would change if I did.

I wish others would follow my Boycott of Amazon. Not only do they not pay their UK taxes , but programme this week showed terrible working conditions.

Please , everyone , go back to the High Street. Your Book Shop needs you. You know it makes sense
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Thank you Eagle, I no longer use Amazon either.

JulietP

Post by JulietP »

Another vote for Ecotricity. Exceptional service and they're now cheaper than the big six.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks Annie. I wish more people would Boycott Amazon.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I didn't see the Amazon programme though I did watch their interrogation by the parliamentary select committee re taxation. Bottom line if anyone didn't see it is "We're working within the law. It's up to government to change the law if they don't like it." I fully agree with them. It's perennially easier to find than block loopholes via legislation, but appealing to someone to pay tax they don't have to is a bit pathetic.

I have my gas with a certain company and if I had a pound for every phone call I've had in the last six months to persuade me to change tariff to this that or the other it'd be enough to pay my next bill.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

MOSY
I suggest you watch on catch up. I must admit even I was surprised how nasty management was.

I certainly will not be using Nile, Missouri , Ganges etc etc.
mosy

Post by mosy »

@ Eagle re Amazon. Please advise name of programme on channel - urgently as might be running out of time to watch if 7-day restricted. I've lost the plot though as to what Amazon has to do with the thread topic of fuel suppliers, so I'll pass on that.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Panorama . Monday evening , I think 8.30pm

Major eye opener.

Another thing I have stopped using Amazon for about 9 months but still inundate me with e mails. Is it possible to stop this????
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Mosy
Just noticed big article in The Observer today about their terrible working conditions.

Shame on anyone who still uses them.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Eagle wrote:Panorama . Monday evening , I think 8.30pm
Major eye opener.
Another thing I have stopped using Amazon for about 9 months but still inundate me with e mails. Is it possible to stop this????
Ta. Just watched. In truth, I don't see the difference from many other workers target-led, e.g. on production lines including manually physical ones. Even 40 years ago, salary was docked by 15 mins for being 1 min late in some workplaces and probably still is and warnings if a person is off sick are hardly news to write home about. The comment by the undercover film "plant" "I've never done a job like this before" belies that he doesn't know how the other half work., or he would have done a job like that rather than being one of the "thinking class" who earns thousands from, er, "thinking".

Get real maybe. Personally boycotting any shop/product whether this country or overseas-produced is pointless when millions will still buy. Isn't that why unions were invented - to safeguard workers and working practices? And look at the flack the remaining ones still get. Could resign the job - oh wait, that'd make them benefit scroungers. How do you propose "we" change the world?

Still not sure what this has to do with fuel supplier costs.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

MOSY

My boycott originally for tax avoidance so I am carrying on. I have principals , irrespective of cost.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Eagle, should you be boycotting the government then and stop paying taxes? After all, it is they who allow the loopholes, or more particularly convoluted corporate structuring.

It was quite clear that the Chair of the Select Committee when interviewing Amazon either hadn't been very well briefed or just was unable to grasp the complexities as she asked the same (slightly inane) question a number of times despite Amazon giving detailed responses, having nothing to hide if acting legally. Thatcher was in favour of capitalism and "trimming the fat" thumbing a Boo Hoo nose to small companies who couldn't compete. Not much has changed has it, if this government chooses to do little about avoidance, preferring to spend millions on chasing "little people".

We'll probably have to agree to differ on this since clearly I say the government makes the rules so should change them and you say you don't like that Amazon takes advantage of the rules as currently written. Hardly the only company - banks and global companies have been doing it for decades for both corporation tax and VAT advantages. However, as neither of us if likely to change his/her stance - well, I'm not - I'll just raise a glass and say Cheers!
mosy

Post by mosy »

Autumn statement tomorrow (Thur). Stand by your beds folks, or set your recorders - BBC2 is broadcasting it in full starting with pre-commentary at 11am.

Hearing straight from the horse's mouth is always better than selected highlights or interpretations.