Pub Xmas Lunch

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
MatthewBest

Pub Xmas Lunch

Post by MatthewBest »

Does anybody know if there are any pubs in Sydenham/Penge that will be open on Christmas Day and serving Christmas Lunch? I am hoping to take my wife and three-year-old daughter to visit my dad in Sydenham for Christmas but he's 85 and although he is insistent that he can cook for us all, I thought it might be nice to visit a pub instead and take the pressure off him. But it would need to be walking distance from Sydenham Station or not far from Penge (he lives on Border Road, just off Lawrie Park Road). The only one I've managed to find online is the Dulwich Wood House but I think that might be a bit too far to walk (we don't have a car).
mosy

Re: Pub Xmas Lunch

Post by mosy »

Hi MatthewBest. A lovely idea and I'm sorry I can't help with a pub for lunch. Perhaps you could say you'd appreciate if he could could get cake for tea instead maybe? I can tell you that Sydenham Cars taxi office, literally just as you walk out of Sydenham Station on Station Approach, will be open all day on Xmas Day. I just rang them for you and they say open 24/7 365 days a year including the walk-in office so not just pre-booked. Don't know how busy they'd be so if you want to ring and book it's 020 8778 3000. They can do estate cars (ask for one) if your dad needs extra leg room or anything. A taxi car would give you a wider choice given Sydenham and surround isn't exactly flat.

Hopefully pub suggestions will arrive (before they all get booked up).
pip

Post by pip »

Hi Matthew,
Ive never known a pub open in Sydenham open on a christmas day for lunch. I saw an advert recently saying that Wetherspoons pubs will be open this year on christmas day for christmas lunch. Whether that means all wetherspoons or not you would have to check. You have wetherspoons in the shape of the Moon and stars in Penge. I should imagine you would have to book in advance but maybe worth a look. On the other hand the Golden Lion sydenham rd always opens 12.00- 3.00
on christmas day for drinks only. So good luck and I hope you and your family have a great christmas.

Moon and stars Penge 0208 778 5680

Pip
lulu1

Post by lulu1 »

The Dulwich Woodhouse Pub is open on Christmas Day. It would certainly be too far to walk, but if you can book a taxi then it is a really lovely place to go for Christmas lunch.
MatthewBest

Post by MatthewBest »

Thanks for the responses everybody. The news about the local taxi company will be especially useful. Looks like our best bet would be a cab to the Wood House and back, though my dad is partial to Wetherspoons for some bizarre reason! I will try to steer him clear of that idea...

Anyway, I've suggested all this to him and he is mulling it over, so we'll see what happens. Thanks once again!
pip

Post by pip »

Funny you should say that about your dad and wetherspoons Matthew as two of my friends who both have fathers who are in their mid eighties both love the wetherspoons cod and chips. Its probably got something to do with value for money.

Pip
MatthewBest

Post by MatthewBest »

Well, I can't deny that Wetherspoons is cheap. Whether it is a bargain is a different question!

My dad also hangs around Sainsburys following the lady who marks things down just before closing time. Also, every time I see him he gives me some almost rotten fruit he bought in Lewisham market for 50p. He's a bargain-hunter in extremis, which is why it's very difficult to get him to commit to taking a taxi anywhere. But I'll do my best!
marymck

Post by marymck »

Better keep the prices at the Dulwich Wood House out of your Dad's sight then Matthew. It isn't exactly cheap. I had dinner there tonight. Soup starter and turkey main were £25. Which I think is a lot for a pub. Hardest sprouts I've ever had, though the rest was nice. Wine was £7.60 a glass.

I don't know if it's the same prices on Xmas Day.

Very few sydenham pubs do food at any time now, I'm afraid. Just the Dolphin now I think and that's very similar price wise to the DWH.

Somewhere that I haven't been to (though every time I pass it on the bus I keep meaning to) is the Plough on Lordship Lane. As of 5 minutes ago their website said it had a vacancy for xmas day lunch. I haven't checked out their menu, but here is the link.

http://www.theploughdulwich.co.uk/offers/
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

We went to the Plough a couple of Christmases ago, the food was ok, the place was packed in the pub part, our table was booked for 1pm and it took a while to liven up in the restaurant part, might be good to book for a little bit later, watch the bill at the end as they tried to say we had more than we did. But was soon sorted out.
All in all I wouldn't go back, but we had a good time in the end.
I still think it would be worth you going.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

The Hill on Dartmouth Road, Forest Hill, is open on Christmas Day. We regularly have Sunday lunch there and it's very reliable. http://www.questionbar.co.uk/food/index_html?menu_id=19
Trattoria Raffaele

Post by Trattoria Raffaele »

Trattoria Raffaele (94 Sydenham Rd) is also open for Christmas lunch! See www.trattoriaraffaele.com for our yummy set menu. Merry Christmas everyone.