PUB: The Railway.

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Robde

PUB: The Railway.

Post by Robde »

Just a note to say that no one has mentioned "The Railway" on Sydenham bridge this is a nice Pub with a great couple running it. Ive always enjoyed the company and of course the Beer.
fuzzy logic

Post by fuzzy logic »

are you having a laugh ??!! ......... or you are friends of the couple who run it.

Upon opening the door you are greeted with a lungful of benson & hedges.

Heaven forbid you have to go the loo after eventually being served.... they are revolting.

I myself love a pint and do smoke so I am not having a pop at pub's in general ......... just this one ...... shocking !!! and yet another let down for the face of Sydenham.
danstevens

Post by danstevens »

i've never been in the pub you mention but it looks particularly uninviting from the outside. Doesn't surprise me that the inside isn't much better.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

I like the Railway! True, it is very smokey in there and that is off putting even to me, a smoker - but it it a 'proper old boozer' with real charachters who have been going for years.... The landlord and landlady are very friendly indeed and we met a gent in there who has now become our decorator, very good he is too.
Don't knock it till you've tried it.

If only they could get some powerfull extractor fans........
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

There's a "To let" notice above the Railway Pub so there could well be changes afoot.
fuzzy logic

Post by fuzzy logic »

I have tried it !! and's it's shocking ....... has that place seen daylight ?

I LOVE PUBS !!! Only yesterday I wanted a pint but had to hop on the bus elsewhere.The more traditional the better ..... the only traditional part about the Railway is the drinkers in there ....... they love a drink.

I don't think big banners showing how cheap you can buy a bottle of alocpop inside are in the name of traditon do you ?!

Lets hope the 'To Let' sign brings in some people with a bit of forward thinking.

Good quality beer and a place where you can grab a bite to eat is what's needed.
fishcox

The Railway

Post by fishcox »

We used to call it the 'Pick a Window', as that was what you had to do, before being thrown through it. Not been in for years, as it doesnt look too inviting. Most of the pubs in Sydenham seem to have beer prices in the window, as they are obviously all after the same trade. Personally, I would happily pay a bit of a premium on my pint, to sit in a decently decorated, less smokey boozer, which Sydenham is crying out for.

Unfortunately, the breweries and pub chains are too short sighted to do anything about it.

I've always said that the Greyhound should have been left as it was in the 80's. Whoever ripped it out and made it what it now is, should be horsewhipped up and down Westwood Hill.
fishcox

The Railway

Post by fishcox »

..by the way, as far as the 'To Let' sign above the door is concerned, I think it's just missing a letter 'i' between the 'o' and the 'l'.
oin

Post by oin »

I've been to the railway a few times and I'd say the composite of the reviews so far gave a good impression. If you're looking for a local pub for local people and are happy with dark and smokey, then the Railway could be for you. Their prices can be very reasonable to boot. However, if you like light and airey with young trendy folk, avoid it at all costs.