Proprietor of the Crystal Palace?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Chris Green

Proprietor of the Crystal Palace?

Post by Chris Green »

:?: :?: :?: In researching the Baptismal and Marriage Registers of the Parish of Saint Paul Heaton Moor, Stockport for the period 1873 - 1924. I came across a father of a bride who was described as 'Proprietor of the Crystal Palace'. His name was Frederick Fuhroye. He was not a founding director of the Company. So I am wondering if he was perhaps a licensee of catering facilities at the Crystal Palace :?: . Does anyone recognise this rather unusual name or can anyone throw anylight on any other Crystal Palaces that someone might be proud to own :?: I am starting here because there is surely only one Crystal Palace - the one that stood in Sydenham. :!:
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Hi Chris

Small world! I spent my Christmas in snowy Alan Road, Heaton Moor, Stockport, and very pretty it all was on Boxing Day morning when we went for a walk in sunny Didsbury!

I'm sure Sydenham Society's Archivist and local historian, Steve Grindlay, will endeavour to assist you in your quest for information and will post a response to you in due course.

However, another avenue for you to explore is to contact the Crystal Palace Foundation, which runs the Crystal Palace Museum, e-mail: crystalpalacefoundation@hotmail.com or visit their web-site at www.crystalpalacefoundation.org.uk.

Good luck and perhaps you will keep this site posted if you are successful!
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Chris, I have searched a variety of sources, including street directories, census returns and several genealogical websites and can find no reference to a surname spelt Fuhroye. Could it be spelt any other way, and do you have a date for the marriage of his daughter?

Steve
oin

Post by oin »

There is more than one Crystal Palace and the term proprietor makes me suspect it is one of the bars or restaurants of that name. A quick Google confirms my suspicions. I hope that helps your quest. Good luck though as there asre several pubs of that name.