Golden Lion 1840/50 Landlord?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!

Golden Lion 1840/50 Landlord?

Post by Guest »

Regarding the Golden Lion pub Sydenham, my husbands ancestors used to be the landlords - in the 1840's and 50's or thereabouts. There name was Hardy. Do you have any info on them?

Suzanne
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

I do have some information on George Hardy.

He was the landlord of the Golden Lion from about 1843 until his death in 1848. He was married to Susannah, and had six children, William, Joseph, Emma, Henry, Maryann and Thomas. I'm not sure where or when the three eldest children were born, but the three youngest were baptised at St Bartholomew's Church, Sydenham; Henry on 19/3/1843, Maryann on 17/1/1845 and Thomas on 19/12/1847. The family does not appear in the 1841 census for Sydenham but were clearly living here by early 1843.

Susannah continued as landlady at the Golden Lion. She married James Trehearn, who became landlord, in about 1849. He died about 1858. Susannah continued as landlady until 1863 (she also married a third time, to William Smith, who was landlord until 1867). Although the licences were issued to her husbands I suspect that Susannah was the driving force. She has been described as "jovial" and "fair mistress" of the inn.

As parish registers, census returns and other records for Sydenham are held at Lewisham Local Studies Centre it might be worth contacting them:
http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/localStudies/index.asp

Steve