Crown Tree Services

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Eagle

Re: Crown Tree Services

Post by Eagle »

Well said Rod

Perhaps you were barking up the wrong tree? Try another branch. Or Leaf them alone.
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

Try Tree Reasons. They're local, friendly and reliable. We've used them for firewood and tree work for a couple of years now.

Sue
mosy

Post by mosy »

I thought I'd read somewhere that one had to get planning permission for doing anything to trees including trimming. Can anyone clarify please? If it is necessary, would the tree people sort that out (since they'd know what they're talking about)? Ta.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Only if the tree has a preservation on it, as far as I know. If you want to prune the trees in your own garden (or cut them down altogether) it's up to you. One slightly arcane law is that you can cut back a neighbour's tree where it overhangs your property, but you have to give them whatever you cut off, because it is technically their property!
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

mosy wrote:I thought I'd read somewhere that one had to get planning permission for doing anything to trees including trimming. Can anyone clarify please? If it is necessary, would the tree people sort that out (since they'd know what they're talking about)? Ta.
Lewisham Council have this to say (I've been looking at getting a large tree in my back garden removed):

"To justify a preservation order the trees should usually be visible from a public place. As a result, trees in back gardens are not normally eligible."

http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/e ... trees.aspx
mosy

Post by mosy »

Thank you both for the info :)
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

you might also need permission if you live in a conservation area.
I'd clarify it with the council planning or arboricultural team first before getting any work done.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

Depend on the size and how far they've gone and other things. You might be able to cut it back a lot to reduce the weight acting on it, maybe brace it a bit.
Maria

Post by Maria »

Hi Rod - I have to say I sympathise with your neighbours... during the storms which lasted for nearly ever this winter a huge poplar tree that looked perfectly ok came down with a huge, majestic, crash... and destroyed two of our neighbours garden fences, pots, some garden furniture etc.

On the other hand I sympathise with you too - trees are essential and cutting them down an absolute last resort. Last time we had a problem with a huge eucalyptus we called Natasha Morgan - see http://www.natashamorgangardendesign.co.uk; they are local and "work with RHS qualified tree surgeons" - http://www.natashamorgangardendesign.co.uk/?q=node/56. In that case it had to be cut down completely....
Jacks

Post by Jacks »

I used Oxleas Tree Care to remove a massive rotten Cherry Tree from my Garden. Was very pleased with the work they did - and if I still had a tree I would definitely use them again! I think they have a website, but I got their details through a recommendation.

On the subject of preservation orders...I actually had it in my house deeds that I had to consult the council before removing trees from my land because it's an ex council house and they planted it (or something)...rang the council who had forgotten such a clause had ever existed and were baffled we had even bothered to check. But anyway....I'm sure you can check online if your tree has a preservation order on it, otherwise you should be fine!!
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Jacks wrote:I used Oxleas Tree Care to remove a massive rotten Cherry Tree from my Garden. Was very pleased with the work they did - and if I still had a tree I would definitely use them again! I think they have a website, but I got their details through a recommendation.

On the subject of preservation orders...I actually had it in my house deeds that I had to consult the council before removing trees from my land because it's an ex council house and they planted it (or something)...rang the council who had forgotten such a clause had ever existed and were baffled we had even bothered to check. But anyway....I'm sure you can check online if your tree has a preservation order on it, otherwise you should be fine!!
Would this were true! I thought the same a few years ago, thinking it would be an easy way for Councils to show they could use modern technology to help the public. However, it seemed not, either in Lewisham or Bromley, where I was perusing the matter. It may have changed - I may be pleasantly surprised, but I doubt it :)
mosy

Post by mosy »

For interest, these people are doing heavy pruning of several trees at a block of flats in Silverdale, so presumably appointed by a management company. Seem to be doing a quick tidy job.

Birchwood Tree Services:
http://www.trustatrader.com/traders/bir ... stevenage/
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

So sad when a tree has to be felled, I have just discovered that a Cherry tree in my new garden has a disease and needs to come down, shame, the birds love it.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Very sad Annie but hopefully a new tree will flourish .
Nat-penge

Post by Nat-penge »

i can highly recommend George from GS Treecare we have used him on several occasions as he lives locally to Sydenham and is a fully qualified treesurgeon. he is also very popular on twitter but we found him from checkatrade. www.gstreecare.co.uk 07887972263 :D
DanW

Post by DanW »

A N Rowland (http://www.anrowland.co.uk/) in South Norwood did a very good job of removing a large poplar tree in our garden a few years back.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Tree Reasons removed a large willow from our back garden yesterday. Professional, cleaned up well and very friendly. Also a very reasonable price. Will have them back for any further tree work
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

I had a nice guy from Tree Reasons come to see me last year. I didn't end up doing the work but he was very friendly