Chipped bath

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
coldand

Chipped bath

Post by coldand »

Hi guys ,I've got a chip in my bath about the size of my thumb nail,has anyone ever used any bath chip repair companies, if so would appreciate a recommendation,many thanks.
mosy

Re: Chipped bath

Post by mosy »

What is the bath made from and coated with? Is it a dent or a surface chip?
Some companies aren't interested in chips (not worth their while), besides which the call-out charge alone makes it less than attractive. Hope someone else here can help.

On the other hand, If it is enamelled metal, you could probably do a fair job DIY (I did) using a craft-sized tin of Humbrol enamel sold pretty much everywhere. If a deep dent, a spot of David's Isopon P38 could be carefully set in to slightly below surface level to allow for thickness of finishing paint layers.
http://www.humbrol.com/shop/paints/?tag=1030
http://www.autoworldcarparts.com/davids_filler.php
I personally wouldn't attempt this without expert advice if a dent had already got rust as rust can travel under the surface.

If fibreglass, could try Isopon P40 as the filler but not sure what paint finish and I'm guessing here as never tried - I usually paint Tippex (typist correcting fluid) over small marks *whistles blithely* as few notice flaws if they don't know they're there ;)
coldand

Post by coldand »

Thank you for your reply ,its a steel bath with a chip the size of a thumb nail
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

By the sound of it - it would be an enamel coated bath then.

You could do this yourself but area to be painted must be free of rust which can settle
in fairly quickly (so small piece of sandpaper to clean chip). You would be best to prime
first (white primer & artist size brush). When primer has dried (properly/overnight) then
coat with white enamel (using artist size brush again), you may need 2 coats. Should at
least hide the chip reasonably well (hopefully). Surely this is worth trying!

Good luck.
Beerboy

Post by Beerboy »

Just seeing a request for repairing a chip in the bath from 'Cooland' and a reply from 14 Bradford road, it makes me realise how priorities have changed over the years. As a kid, people living in Bradford Road would have had baths the same as Springfield Rise baths. Tin ones, hung on the wall ready for a Friday night bath whether you needed it or not, 'Amarmi Night' And we certainly didn't have chips in it. Maybe fish! A Stickleback or two which we had poached from Wells Park when the park keeper wasn't about. If we were very dirty because we had been playing on the bombed sites, when taking our socks off our feet looked as though our socks were still on, we went swimming in Forest Hill Baths, that was if it was open and not closed due to a Polio scare. Happy days!