Refuse services in Sydenham

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Hi all

We at the Penge Tourist Board are trying to build an argument as to why the northern parts of Bromley borough should be treated differently to the leafier southern end. Basically the Penge, Anerley and CP areas are London and the rest is Kent and the services we receive should reflect an inner city borough's needs. We have more people, more flats, more traffic and more fast food outlets. Therefore, services like refuse collection and street bin emptying should be more frequent. Penge High Street, for example, has a large number of flats above shops where the people living there do not own the shop. With no communal area to store waste the flat dweller either has to either put their refuse in a bin bag and leave it in their flat to grow increasingly smelly and unhygienic or, as often happens, they leave the bag out in the street (often containing soiled takeaway tubs, catfood sachets, etc), where foxes tear it open, leaving the rubbish to end up being kicked around for a few days.

Bromley provides boxes for recycling and lidded tubs for food waste but no black bag general rubbish bins. They collect food waste weekly but everything else fortnightly.

My question therefore is what services does Lewisham provide and what does it give its residents, particularly those in flats in houses to store waste?

Cheers in advance,
Paul
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Hi Paul

Info on collection arrangements for recyclable refuse is at http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/w ... rvice.aspx.

Info on collection arrangements for other household refuse is at http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/w ... rvice.aspx.

In the case of flats above shops with no bin store (at least in the case of Sydenham):
- Clear plastic sacks containing recyclable refuse are collected weekly
- Orange plastic sacks containing other waste are collecting 2-3 times daily in defined hourly windows
Tadpole

Re: Refuse services in Sydenham

Post by Tadpole »

My brother lives in a flat above a shop in Highgate, so not local but does give you some info.
He can put any rubbish out in black bags and leave it my a lamp post Monday to Friday after 8pm and it's collected by midnight. He is not required to recycle anything due to limited storage space within the flats.
ejb

Re: Refuse services in Sydenham

Post by ejb »

I'm in Sydenham above a shop (which is currently being converted into a flat) and we have clear sacks for recycling, and orange sacks for refuse. We have to keep both bags inside the flat until the night before our collection. I spoke with the council yesterday because now its warmer it's not nice having to keep the refuse in a small flat, and was informed that they only collect weekly and as there are no secure bins for me to put my bags in I should not place them on the streets as they will be at risk from foxes etc.

Biscuitman1978 can you let me know where you have the info that they collect orange sacks 2-3 times daily in defined hours? As I will go back to the council and ask again! I really dislike keeping refuse in the flat.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

ejb wrote:Biscuitman1978 can you let me know where you have the info that they collect orange sacks 2-3 times daily in defined hours? As I will go back to the council and ask again! I really dislike keeping refuse in the flat.
I'll send you a PM.