The Floor sanding experts

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Ria

The Floor sanding experts

Post by Ria »

We are about to get this company to do our floor restoration in 2 bedrooms. I wonder if anyone had any experience with them?
Many thanks!
mosy

Re: The Floor sanding experts

Post by mosy »

What sort of wood floor is it? Old floorboards tend to rise in the middle thus leaving gaps in between which need to be packed. Also, as they're nailed down, the nails have all to be countersunk first. Some stains might go down quite a way so you might not get rid of all of them.

I sanded, by hiring a stupidly heavy industrial sander, an old fashioned woodblock floor, glued down (so no nails) and the blocks were about 1/2" thick so I had leeway :lol: Plus 2-3 coats stain and acrylic varnish (think drying time). A friend told me afterwards tht "That was a load of grief! Why didn't you just lay the wood veneer sort on top of it for speed and price?" If you do do that, make sure you fix any squeaky floorboards first.

Anyway, I wanted to restore the original and did, but yes it was a lot of grief, not to mention sanding dust in every conceivable nook and cranny in the whole place! Can't imagine how much it costs to have the whole thing start to finish done professionally.

Can you ask if you can go and see any "satisfied customers"? I was always happy to do that if a workman/co had done a good job, so hopefully at least one of their customers would be willing.