New Aquatics Shop?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
robbieduncan

New Aquatics Shop?

Post by robbieduncan »

As I walked up to the station today I saw that a new Antiques shop is opening soon. Apparently "It started with a fish"? Anyway nice to see new business ventures on the high street. My memory is clearly not what it once was (and I'm not quite 36!): I can't remember what it's replacing (clearly I did not frequent that store): opposite the Dolphin...
Last edited by robbieduncan on 30 Jul 2014 11:18, edited 1 time in total.
sarahw

Re: New Antiques Shop?

Post by sarahw »

I think it was a carpet shop years ago or was that next door.
Its not an Antique shop its an Aquatic shop selling fish :D
I just spoke to the owner as he was putting the sign up this morning and he said he is opening in a few weeks.
This is a great addition to the high street in my opinion. Bring a bit of diversity
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

sarahw wrote:I think it was a carpet shop years ago or was that next door.
Its not an Antique shop its an Aquatic shop selling fish :D
I just spoke to the owner as he was putting the sign up this morning and he said he is opening in a few weeks.
This is a great addition to the high street in my opinion. Bring a bit of diversity
Ah, that makes more sense. More coffee first thing required :p
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I saw it this morning too. Shame it looks so awful.
robbieduncan

Re: New Aquatics Shop?

Post by robbieduncan »

I have amended the title :)

As for it looking awful the poster in the window looked OK. Not spectacular but not terrible. I assume the shop front/signage is to come...
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It's come. It's pretty naff.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

leenewham wrote:It's come. It's pretty naff.
In that case I shall pay more attention on my way home this evening
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

leenewham wrote:I saw it this morning too. Shame it looks so awful.

Not another one Lee? When will they learn?
Any photos?
deebee1980

Post by deebee1980 »

well well a new shop opening and bad feed back already we should be supporting new shops opening in sydenham high street not criticizing them
Last edited by deebee1980 on 30 Jul 2014 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

deebee,
Have you looked at Sydenham High Street recently?
What drags it down? It's mainly the signage and shabby looking shops,
All on this board want Sydenham to look good, to encourage footfall of consumers,
We are not knocking new shops opening up, in fact most people here want new shops!
But we want ones where the owners take a bit of care and consideration for the locals and their surroundings, if they don't take heed of this Sydenham high street will fail because it won't be a good place to shop, people will simply go elsewhere, so wind your neck in, as the saying goes :roll:

Or, are you the new owner?
If so, not a good first post.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Thanks for the rather angry PM Deb!

I've replied.

I wish the business well and never said anything to the contrary, but I still think their signage is pretty dire.
Last edited by leenewham on 30 Jul 2014 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

What's a nest pm? Lee :o
mosy

Post by mosy »

Annie, perhaps you should see it before commenting and not lump it in with a perception based on one adverse comment? I passed this evening and think it's perfectly fine - a tasteful seawater green, includes the street no. (90) which is one of leenewham's "must have" things, plus it says what it does, with a touch of humour. Email and two phone nos, are given in a stepped lower fascia (so not just an anonymous "front"). What's not to like? Beats me.

I'm sure Aquatics will do well :) When I kept tropical fish, then moved to Syd, it was a fair "trawl" (<-cringe) to go to half way along Underhill Rd, the nearest one at the time. It makes keeping fish so much easier if equipment, supplies (water chems, food, etc) - not to mention advice! - are on one's doorstep. Anyone would have died laughing at some of my earnest newbie questions in retrospect; how "my" shop managed to keep a straight face is beyond me.

Hopefully the owner will post on here to let us know the scope of service/supplies.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Water under the bridge to me.

Good Luck with the new enterprise.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

mosy wrote:Annie, perhaps you should see it before commenting and not lump it in with a perception based on one adverse comment? .
Mosy, I made it quite clear I have not seen it, I trust Lees judgement on such matters as he is much more qualified at knowing what a shop front should look like than myself, or even you?

I want Sydenham to look good, if the new owners don't really care about Sydenham then they will keep making the same mistakes with their bad shop design/signs,
That's why I asked if there is a picture I could see.
I am sure you know I don't live in Sydenham any more and I don't have psysic powers.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

True, while I don't agree with Mosy, it's up to every one to make their judgements.

I think it's naff and not 'perfectly fine', but it's just my opinion and I don't think Mosy and my opinions ever or will ever be in sync! I've spent a lot of time and effort to try to raise the quality of signage and shops presentation in Sydenham, so I find it frustrating when I see something like this.

On the positive side, it has the street number on it, which should be on every sign by law in my book, which is positive.

I don't think that my opinion is stabbing anyone in the back though, and often an opinion on a forum like this can spark debate and can be of benefit to the shop in question.

As I said before, I wish them well. As we will soon have our very first pond we may well pop in to see if they have anything that is of use once open, as long as I'm not barred of course.
mosy

Post by mosy »

OK, leenewham, so what is "naff" in your opinion? Surely you can't just use "naff" and "dire" without a photo and justifying such comments? If your reasons are only valid if PM'd, can we all have one please, if not why not on here?

We won't be in sync until you start to let businesses try to thrive without being dissed the minute they enter. Signage is either an improvement, funds permitting, or is corporate, or is exactly what an owner wants. For goodness sake see the business not just the blinking fascia or frontage.

Throwaways like "I wish them well" having done your best to lower their opening image? Other than continued P.92 words fail me.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

If I had a picture I'd post it Mosy.

I"m not sure what you mean about that PM'd opinions part.

As you know Mosy, how a shop looks is important. People do judge a book by it's cover, the perception people have of a business is key. But it's also important for the whole street.

As you know Mosy, I feel passionately that how shops present themselves is important & I've been trying to get it raised as an issue. I expressed an opinion about the signage, not the shop. As you know Mosy, we have helped a lot of local businesses. For free. I met one today actually that is a really exciting business in Kirkdale (I can't say any more!).

Signage is either right for the business, the building and the area, distinctive, memorable with the right emptive qualities or it isn't. When make perceptions by what they see, like it or not, so how a shop presents itself is important. I think you are taking this a bit to heart Mosy!

My opinion was, and has only been, about the signage Mosy. Not the business. Unfortunately, most of the signage in Sydenham is bad. Which is why many people think it looks shabby and why many people shop elsewhere. I think that's a shame. I'd like that to change. Thats' why I have and will keep banging on about shops and how they look, and if something is bad I reserve the right to say what I think, and if something is great, I will highlight that too, as you know I do.

What does P.92 mean?
mosy

Post by mosy »

So, all that spiel and still choosing not to say on here why "naff" and "dire" are words you're standing by about No. 90's Aquatics sign that I think is perfectly fine?

This thread isn't about your work in Sydenham, London, the universe and the galaxy, it's about the new Aquatics shop and hopefully a long and productive life here.

Quote from you "My opinion was, and has only been, about the signage Mosy. Not the business"
Then either justify your adverse opinion about the signage or stop posting your resume, preferably both ;)
mosy

Post by mosy »

leenewham wrote:If I had a picture I'd post it Mosy.

I"m not sure what you mean about that PM'd opinions part. ......[clip]..
Sorry forgot to answer that. Sure you do, it's where you said you would justify your comments to deebee via nest PM before you edited it.

Forgot to answer Cont. P.92 also. It's a Private Eye thing - I think it's Cont'd P.294 or whatever. The number's irrelevant, the gist is too many words would follow if went into chapter and verse.