Olympics research

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
philucc

Olympics research

Post by philucc »

Hello everyone. I hope it's ok to make this post.

I am a 3rd year uni student based in West Sussex. For my dissertation I am conducting some research into the level of support for London's 2012 Olympic bid. I am looking for people across London and the UK to complete a short questionnaire to help me with my research. I especially require the views of London people so to hear your views would be very useful. Completing a questionnaire should take between 10-15 minutes. If anyone can spare a few minutes all help is greatly appreciated!

For anyone interested the questionnaire can be found at

http://www.research2012.net

Many thanks & best wishes. Phil (UCC)
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

Is it just me being a spoilsport - or would 'London 2012' be really bad for Sydenham? Is it me paying the money to plaster all our buses urging myself to support the bid?

If we get it won't I be paying a levy on top of my Council Tax for the next 8 years to finance it (and maybe for 30+ years if the Business Plan is as good as Montreal's?)

For what benefit?

Draconian traffic restrictions are part of the bid which will help paralyse those of us trying to do business or get out to the North of London.

Security is going to be an extra headache with the probability of our civil liberties being further impaired?

OK - a lot of money wil be spent which will be good for East London. But not here! Indeed will investment be diverted from South London to support the event?

Hmmm - perhaps somebody could spell out the benefits for Sydenham. Then we can decide, on the evidence, to support or oppose in time to input to IOC evaluation people in February.
back_ache

Post by back_ache »

Money would have to come this way as I understand our athletics stadium is part of the 2012 plans.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

A new national/ regional sports facility with 21st century facilities in a purpose built landmark building, putting Crystal Palace back on the international sports map.

This we have been told will go ahead with or without London winning the Olympic bid. According to the London Development Agency (in charge of this project) this should be operational by 2008 - a remarkable feat if it happens within this given timescale.

What good is a pool at the so-called National Sports Centre which is too small as it was built in yards and is some several centimetres short of an international length? The nearest 50m international length pool is in Southampton. There are 20 such pools in Paris.

Regeneration of the National Sports Centre, the park and the area around the park can only mean more jobs and better transport for the whole of this area of south London. The East London Line (would it have come without the possibility of winning the Olympic bid?) is coming to south London and lifts (for which there was no funding when Crystal Palace Station was refurbished) will be installed. Because of the East London Line there is more hope for station improvements at Sydenham and Forest Hill